Jeremy Mayfield No. 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Intrepid RACING AT PHOENIX "I like Phoenix. It's kind of like a big Richmond. No two tracks are exactly the same. Phoenix has it's own little quirks to it, but it kind of reminds me of a Richmond.
No. 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Intrepid
RACING AT PHOENIX
"I like Phoenix. It's kind of like a big Richmond. No two tracks are exactly the same. Phoenix has it's own little quirks to it, but it kind of reminds me of a Richmond. You really want to have your car handling well in the corners at Phoenix. It's a little like Loudon in that way with the flat, sweeping corners. I like Phoenix. We tested out there and I'm looking forward to it."
"I've been saying all along that this team has what it takes. We've definitely been heading in the right direction and you're seeing it on the track. This team is capable of winning races and we're not giving up. It's a good feeling when you're able to run in the top 10 on a consistent basis."
* Jeremy Mayfield is scheduled to drive chassis No. 50, which he raced for this first time at Richmond(b) and brought home to a season-high second-place finish. Mayfield also ran this chassis at New Hampshire(b) where he started 10th and finished 11th.
STATS & FACTS
CAREER AT PHOENIX
* This weekend's race marks Mayfield's 307th career start in the NASCAR Winston Cup Series and ninth visit to Phoenix International Raceway. Mayfield has one top-five, one top-ten, and has led one race for 46 laps at Phoenix. His best finish at the track came in 2000 when he moved up from a 25th place start to lead twice for 46 laps and finish second. He earned his best start at Phoenix in 1996 when he rolled off in the 10th spot.
* Mayfield's seventh place finish at Atlanta was his 10th top-10 of the 2003 season. Mayfield has earned 10 or more top-10 finishes in a season on three other occasions (1998 to 2000 -- 16, 12, 12, respectively). Mayfield's third-place finish at Kansas marked his third top-five of the year, and was his third top-three in a span of five races. Last season, Mayfield earned two top-fives and four top-10s in 36 races.
WINSTON CUP POINTS RACE
* Following his seventh place run at Atlanta, Mayfield moves up one spot in the Winston Cup points standings. In the last six races Mayfield has gained 10 positions in the Winston Cup points standings, moving from 29th to 19th. He is just 13 points out of the next position.
MOST RECENT RUN AT PHOENIX
* Mayfield began last year's Checker Auto Parts 500 in the 11th spot. He maintained his position within the top-15 through the first round of pit stops. Mayfield was in the 13th spot on lap 27, but as the day wore on and track conditions continued to change so did the handling of Mayfield's Dodge. The Dew Crew made trackbar and air pressure adjustments to the car throughout the day to help Mayfield gain some grip on the track. He finished in the 25th spot.
* Last weekend's race at Atlanta's race resumed Monday morning with Mayfield running in the tenth spot after starting 15th. On lap 94, he was running in the top-five. As Mayfield completed his pit stop, a caution came out. A disparity with NASCAR displaying the caution lights and the caution flag put Mayfield one lap down. He was forced to maneuver through the field in 21st place. Once again Mayfield and the Dew Crew showed their mettle. As they've done throughout the last part of the season, the team pulled together and refused to settle for anything less than a top-10 finish. Kenny Francis made only minor adjustments to Mayfield's Dodge while Mayfield deftly maneuvered through the lapped traffic. On lap 201, Mayfield occupied the right position, the first car one lap down, and received the "lucky dog" pass, moving onto the lead lap. That's all Mayfield and the Dew Crew needed as the Kentucky-native spent the rest of the race picking off spots. With 50 laps to go, Mayfield was sitting in ninth position. He gained two more spots in the closing laps to finish seventh. The result was the team's sixth top 10 in 10 races
WINSTON CUP CAREER RECORD
* Coming into the Checker Auto Parts 500 at Phoenix Int'l Raceway, Mayfield has made 306 starts, with seven poles (three at Talladega and one at Darlington, Dover, Rockingham, and Texas), three wins (two at Pocono, and one at California), 38 top-fives and 72 top-10s. His most recent win came at Pocono in June of 2000. He earned his most recent pole, and his first pole for Evernham Motorsports at the Aaron's 499 at Talladega on April 6th.