Carl Edwards on racing at Phoenix International Raceway: "Last week in Texas we had a great run going, we were the strongest we had been in a long time. I look forward to going to Phoenix. It's always a fun race and it's been one of my better ...
Carl Edwards on racing at Phoenix International Raceway:
"Last week in Texas we had a great run going, we were the strongest we had been in a long time. I look forward to going to Phoenix. It's always a fun race and it's been one of my better tracks in the Sprint Cup Series. It's one of two shots I have to get a win this season. It should be a really fun race, it's a short race and it's a real sprint. Hopefully the track will be good and quick. It's a real driver's race track."
Crew chief Bob Osborne on racing at Phoenix International Raceway:
"We have had very fast race cars in the past at Phoenix but have yet to win a Cup race there. Phoenix is a unique race track in shape and that makes it a challenge relative to car handling -- it is hard to setup the car so it handles just right. Carl has two wins there in the Nationwide car already, so now we need to get him his first win there in the Aflac Ford on Sunday."
* Carl Edwards will make his 11h NASCAR Sprint Cup Series start at Phoenix International Raceway in this weekend's Checker O'Reilly Auto Parts 500. In his previous 10 starts, Edwards has accumulated one pole, four top-five and seven top-10 finishes.
* ON THE TRACK...The Aflac team will be unloading chassis RK-647. Edwards raced this Ford Fusion three times in 2009, at Richmond in May and both New Hampshire races.
* FOR THE RECORD...Edwards' average start at Phoenix is 11.8, his average finish is 13.0. Edwards has one pole at the Arizona track and has led a total of 87 laps there. In his last three starts at Phoenix, Edwards scored two top-five and three top-10.
* REWIND 2008...Edwards earned a fourth-place finish at Phoenix International Raceway in November of 2008, leaving the driver of the No. 99 Ford with a mathematical chance at the 2008 NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship heading into the final race of the season at Homestead-Miami Speedway. The finish marked Edwards' 18th top-five finish of the 2008 season.
* STANDINGS...Edwards enters Phoenix 11th in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series point standings, 440 markers behind point leader Jimmie Johnson. To date in 2009, Edwards has accumulated seven top-five and 13 top-10 finishes.
* HITTING THE PAVEMENT...Phoenix International Raceway is where Edwards made his first start on a track that was not dirt in 2001.