Charlotte might have fireworks in tonight's NASCAR Sprint Cup race but not the type that is usually in the sky!
CONCORD, N.C.—After knocking Brad Keselowski’s Ford into the fence in last Saturday’s NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Kansas Speedway, Kyle Busch said he wouldn’t be shocked if Keselowski retaliates in an upcoming NASCAR Sprint Cup Series event.
“Probably, for Brad being who Brad is, I guess I should be worried, because he’s stupid enough to do something,” Busch told Mike Bagley and Pete Pistone Friday on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio’s “The Morning Drive.”
Busch can’t forget the race at Watkins Glen in August 2012. With Busch in the lead, contact from Keselowski’s Ford sent Busch’s No. 18 Toyota spinning two laps left. Subsequently, Busch narrowly missed qualifying for the Chase.
“In all reality, to myself, I guess I have more respect for drivers than that,” Busch said. “I got wrecked last year at Watkins Glen. He could have given me an inch, and we could have made it through that corner and not been spun out at Watkins Glen.
“And, yeah, I probably could have gave Brad an inch at Kansas, but when you’re raced as hard as you are, and you get side-drafted and doored down the front straightaway, all those things go out the window, and you start losing respect for that person, and the next time you get to them, you just don’t care. That’s essentially what happened.
Busch has no regrets, but he indicated that payback from Keselowski might escalate the rivalry.
“I had an opportunity (at Kansas),” he said. “I could have lifted when I got tight. I just drove through the ‘tight.’ But, all in all, if he pays it back, he pays it back. That’ll just bring on a heck of a lot more fireworks.”
By Reid Spencer - NASCAR Wire Service