Park for R. Gordon at Martinsville

Report from Motorsport News International Thanks to NASCAR Public Relations and NASCAR Online Park to sub for Gordon at Martinsville MOORESVILLE, N.C. (Sept. 22, 1997) Team SABCO owner Felix Sabates has excused Coors Light Chevrolet ...

Report from Motorsport News International

Thanks to NASCAR Public Relations and NASCAR Online

Park to sub for Gordon at Martinsville

MOORESVILLE, N.C. (Sept. 22, 1997) Team SABCO owner Felix Sabates has excused Coors Light Chevrolet driver Robby Gordon for this weekend's Hanes 500 at the Martinsville Speedway. Gordon, 28, who in 1997 competed as a NASCAR Winston Cup Series rookie for the Sabates-owned No. 40 team, requested the one-race-only release to explore possible 1998 options in the CART PPG Indy Car World Series. Gordon has stated he will drive a Carl Hogan entry in this weekend's CART season finale at the 2.0-mile Califonia Speedway at Fontana. Gordon would not speculate on his future plans in racing beyond this weekend's CART finale run. Steve Park, a NASCAR Busch Series Grand National Division regular will drive the No. 40 Team SABCO Chevrolet in the one-race deal. Gordon will return to the wheel of the Coors Light Chevrolet for the season's remaining events at Charlotte, Talladega, Rockingham, Phoenix and Atlanta. Park, who is slated to drive a full-time NASCAR Winston Cup Series entry for Dale Earnhardt, Inc. in 1998, is a NASCAR Busch Series rookie who so far this season has notched three wins, 10 top-5 and 17 top-10 finishes and is currently third in series standings. "Robby came to me last week and asked to be excused for the weekend so he could make the best decision possible regarding his future in racing," Sabates said. "We want to give Robby every opportunity to make that decision. He felt climbing behind the wheel of an open-wheeled car this weekend would help with his ultimate decision. We've emphasized to Robby that Team SABCO will not stand in his way regarding any of his future plans in racing. "Steve Park was a logical choice for two reasons," Sabates said. "The Grand National Series is off this week and we wanted to return a favor to Dale and Teresa Earnhardt for placing Robby in one of their cars during last October's race at Charlotte." "After this weekend, everything will be back to normal as long as Robby keeps the Indy car between the lines. We certainly don't want to see him get hurt in any way." Gordon says the weekend in California will help with his decision-making process. "I want to thank Team SABCO for understanding and letting me off this weekend," Gordon said. "Felix and the entire team have been behind me 100 percent while I explore my options. The CART series is one of them ... and Winston Cup is still another. I haven't made a decision even on which way I'm leaning right now. But Felix and Team SABCO have been real pros to work with me like this and I'm very grateful."

Be part of something big

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Monster Energy NASCAR Cup
Drivers Dale Earnhardt , Steve Park , Robby Gordon , Felix Sabates