MARTIN GETS BACK IN THE SADDLE AT MICHIGAN After a weekend off, Mark Martin returns to the No. 01 U.S. Army Chevy this weekend at Michigan International Speedway. Worthy Note: Martin has four wins at Michigan in the Cup car, two more in the...
MARTIN GETS BACK IN THE SADDLE AT MICHIGAN
After a weekend off, Mark Martin returns to the No. 01 U.S. Army Chevy this weekend at Michigan International Speedway.
Worthy Note: Martin has four wins at Michigan in the Cup car, two more in the Busch Series and one in the IROC Series.
MARTIN AT MICHIGAN
This will be Martin's 44th run at MIS, where he boasts four wins, 16 top fives, 27 top 10's and a pole. Martin has finished inside the top 10 in seven of his last 12 at Michigan, including a fifth place run there last August. His first win at MIS was Aug.19, 1990 and his last trip to MIS' Victory Lane was June 14, 1998.
POINTING IT OUT
Despite having missed six races in 2007, Martin is still 18th in the Nextel Cup driver point standings; ahead of 11 drivers who have competed in all 22 events and 19 who have competed in one or more races. In addition Martin trails 17th place former Roush teammate Jamie McMurray by only 30 points. Martin was tied for 15th in the points and still in 'Chase' contention before missing last weekend's race at Watkins Glen. The No. 01 car is currently 11th in Nextel Cup owner points.
DOUBLE DUTY AT MICHIGAN
In addition to his duties in the No. 01 U.S. Army car, Martin will take part in his fourth Busch race of 2007, once again taking the helm of the No. 5 Hendrick Busch entry. It will be Martin's second run in the No. 5; he finished second at Darlington in May. Martin has two top-five finishes in three Busch starts in '07, having driven the No. 06 Roush car to a fifth-place result at Daytona.
"Michigan is one of my favorite tracks on the circuit. It's big and wide and you can really pass there. If you are able to get your car set up right, you can do a lot of passing, which can make for a pretty fun day at the race track. We've had a great deal of success there over the years and I always look forward to going back. We were actually way off with the car there in June, so we'll have our work cut out for us making sure that we get back on track. We've had strong runs in our last couple of outings at Indy and Pocono, so hopefully we can build on that with another solid effort this weekend."
"I continue to be very impressed with the effort of this race team. Ryan Pemberton and this U.S. Army Team really know how to rise to the occasion and I'm looking forward getting back in their race car this weekend and seeing what we can do at Michigan."
MARK FAST FACTS
* Martin's 27 top-10 finishes at Michigan are the most of any driver.
* Martin's 16 top-five finishes at Michigan are the most of any active driver.
* Martin has four wins at Michigan in the Cup car, the third most of any active driver.
* Martin has led 22 races at Michigan for a total of 851 laps.
* Martin has finished in the top 10 in seven of his last 12 at Michigan, including a fifth-place finish there last August.
* Martin has finished in the top five in four of his last seven Cup starts at MIS.
* Martin boasts two Busch and an IROC win at Michigan.
* Martin is ranked 18th in the Nextel Cup points, ahead of 11 drivers who have competed in all 22 events.
* Martin will race the No. 5 Busch Chevy for Hendrick this weekend as well.