JEREMY MAYFIELD QUOTES "Hard work pays off and I'll tell you, this No. 19 team has gone non-stop getting things sorted out with the rules changes and the new Dodge Charger. We got off to a slow start, but the work has paid off. We had a problem...
JEREMY MAYFIELD QUOTES
"Hard work pays off and I'll tell you, this No. 19 team has gone non-stop getting things sorted out with the rules changes and the new Dodge Charger. We got off to a slow start, but the work has paid off. We had a problem at Bristol with the alternator, but the Dodge Charger on the new Evernham chassis was great right off the truck. We practiced well, qualified in the top 10 and could run with laps with the leader. Slugger Labbe didn't have to make a lot of changes or adjustments on the car during the race. The crew turned in great pit stops. That's the kind of race situation you want -- minimal changes to keep the car balanced and hooked up with the track as the race unfolds."
"You have to have a car that handles well at Martinsville, and you have to stay away from the beating and banging that goes on at the short tracks. The best way to do that is start up near the front and run up front. I think this team is capable and ready to do just that. We're looking forward to going to Martinsville. This team is pumped up. Slugger and I are communicating well. The hard work has paid off, and we're not about to slow down. We're testing the next two days."
STATS & FACTS
JEREMY MAYFIELD AT MARTINSVILLE
* This weekend marks Mayfield's 20th career visit to Martinsville Speedway. He has one top-five and five top-10 finishes at the track. He has finished seventh at Martinsville three times (spring of '97, '98 and 2000).
MAYFIELD'S MARTINSVILLE BESTS
* Mayfield's best finish at Martinsville came in April of 1996 when he moved up from a 16th place start to finish fourth. The finish was a career-high for Mayfield, coming in his third start at Martinsville, and was the second top-five finish of his career (he had finished fifth at Atlanta six weeks earlier). Mayfield earned his best start at Martinsville in April of 2001, starting sixth.
NEW EVERNHAM MOTORSPORTS CHASSIS
* The No. 19 Dodge team was pleased with the brand new Evernham Motorsports chassis that it brought to Bristol last weekend. The team will race another new chassis this weekend at Martinsville, No. 113, which received good reviews following a test session last week at Phoenix.
* Mayfield and the No. 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Charger team are testing at Caraway Speedway this Tuesday, April 5, along with Evernham Motorsports teammate Kasey Kahne in the No. 9 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Charger. The .455-mile asphalt oval speedway is located in Asheboro, N.C., and plays host to the NASCAR Dodge Weekly Series among many other events.
* After testing at Kentucky Speedway in March, Mayfield's No.19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Charger team improved upon breakthrough aerodynamic changes originally discovered in the Atlanta race. Mayfield was pleased to announce, "We said we were going to test our butts off at Kentucky and really figure it out. We hit on something that's going to be huge for us the rest of the year. It will get the aero balance back where it needs to be. This is definitely going to be the turning point of our season."