Target Team Facts: * Two to go: Casey Mears has two races remaining in the pink Target Dodge, Martinsville and Atlanta, which showcase the pink ribbon logo of the Breast Cancer Research Foundation (BCRF). The auction of his one-of-a-kind helmet...
Target Team Facts:
* Two to go: Casey Mears has two races remaining in the pink Target Dodge, Martinsville and Atlanta, which showcase the pink ribbon logo of the Breast Cancer Research Foundation (BCRF). The auction of his one-of-a-kind helmet donated by Troy Lee Designs begins this Friday on eBay. All the proceeds for the auction, along with the pink racing products sold at caseymears.com, in the CGRFS gift shop and at Mears' trackside trailer, will go directly to the BCRF. Items for purchase include a diecast of the pink No. 41 Target Dodge, shirts, hats and other pink trinkets.
* Standings: Mears and the Target team remain 24th in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup championship standings after a solid top-10 effort at Lowe's Motor Speedway last weekend. Mears and the team have earned three top-10 finishes over the past four races.
* Paint Schemes: Could it be the paint schemes? Mears and the Target team have run six special paint schemes during the 2005 season. In those six races, the No. 41 Dodge Charger has earned one top-five and four top-10 finishes (Las Vegas, Texas, Kansas and Charlotte).
* Martinsville: Mears has five NEXTEL Cup starts at Martinsville Speedway. He has finished 17th twice, his best efforts at the .660-mile short track. Mears tested at the track with teammate Sterling Marlin in preparation for the Subway 500.
* Chassis: Crew chief Jimmy Elledge and the Target Team are returning to the track this weekend with chassis #302. This is the same car Mears finished 34th, 18th and 17th with at Bristol, Pocono and Martinsville, respectively.
Casey Mears Quotes:
On Martinsville: "Martinsville has been one of the toughest tracks on the circuit for me," said Mears. "We went and tested there and it was the best test I've had at the track. I ran faster during the test than I ever have before. I feel pretty good going into this weekend. I don't think we're going to set the world on fire, but we should be a lot more competitive than I have been in the past.
"These past few weeks have been great for this team. The cars have been extremely fast and we've run clean races. Last week we dodged a bullet and came away with a sixth-place finish. We had a great car that had a shot of winning. We've had three top-10 runs over that past four races, and the more consistently you run toward the front, the better your chances are of earning those top fives and eventually a win.
"It has also given us the chance to show off the pink Target Dodge. The fan response has been unbelievable, and I hope we are making small difference for those who have been affected by breast cancer."