Target Team Fast Facts: * Testing at the Brickyard: Reed Sorenson and the Target team, along with 57 other NEXTEL Cup teams, took to the historic Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Monday for what was supposed to be a two-day test session...
Target Team Fast Facts:
* Testing at the Brickyard: Reed Sorenson and the Target team, along with 57 other NEXTEL Cup teams, took to the historic Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Monday for what was supposed to be a two-day test session in preparation for the upcoming race at the Brickyard on Aug. 6. Monday, the teams were on track all day with Sorenson posting times of 51.594 sec./174.727 mph (26th fastest) in the morning and 51.769 sec./173.849 (22nd) in the afternoon. Tuesday's session was cancelled due to rain, so many of the teams opted to give it another go on Wednesday.
* Chassis: Crew Chief Jimmy Elledge and the Target Team have selected chassis #614 for this weekend's NEXTEL Cup Series race at New Hampshire International Speedway. This is a new race car with no prior laps of competition, but it was tested at The Milwaukee Mile on June 27 and 28.
* NEXTEL Cup Points Report: Sorenson and the Target team moved up three positions to 21st in the overall standings after their seventh-place finish in the last event at Chicagoland Speedway. The team is 56 points out of 20th and 190 out of the top 15.
* Rookie Round Up: Sorenson is currently third in the Raybestos Rookie of the Year standings with 166 points. He trails leader Denny Hamlin by 36 points. Sorenson has captured rookie of the race honors in four of the 18 races run thus far in '06 (Atlanta -- 10th-place finish, Martinsville -- 12th, Michigan -- fifth, Chicagoland -- seventh).
* Switching It Up: The Target paint scheme has switched to a primarily red scheme with a white Bullseye on the hood for the remainder of the season. The scheme was first introduced during the night races this past May.
* Busch Series Update: Sorenson is 18th in the overall Busch Series driver standings and he is only 45 points out of 15th place. Sorenson and the Discount Tire team collected their fifth top-10 finish of the season with their eight-place effort in the last race at Chicagoland Speedway
Reed Sorenson on New Hampshire...
"Everyone at Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates is excited about the NEXTEL Cup race at New Hampshire this weekend. The guys back at the shop have spent the last few months building new short-track cars and we're anxious to see how they perform against the competition. We tested the new cars at Milwaukee a couple of weeks ago and they drove much better than our older version. I have a good feeling about this weekend and we haven't even gotten to the track yet.
"The Target team had a great run at Chicagoland last week and we're hoping to keep it going this weekend. That was the first race in a while where we got the finish we deserved. We've had good cars at many races this year but it seems like something always kept us from getting a solid finish. This time everything went right. The car was fast, the pit stops were good and it all fell into place. I'm hoping it is a sign of things to come. "