Jeremy Mayfield Quotes "We came out of there Saturday night as you could tell very excited and very happy with what happened to get in the top 10 and win the race, our first (win) in the 19 car. A lot of things happened to us Saturday night that...
Jeremy Mayfield Quotes
"We came out of there Saturday night as you could tell very excited and very happy with what happened to get in the top 10 and win the race, our first (win) in the 19 car. A lot of things happened to us Saturday night that were just unbelievable. To be able to do that, and you've also got to remember we came back Sunday and had a little bit of a break anyway before it started back on Monday. Most of the guys in the shop, just about everybody really, we're pumped up and ready to go again. We're ready to get after it at Loudon and it just makes it more exciting to get to the next race, especially the first race of the NEXTEL Cup points' race going on. We're pumped up about it. What a great way to start the first race for us, to come off our first win and get in the top 10."
DO YOU HAVE AN ADVANTAGE RIGHT NOW?
"We talked about that (Monday). I was up at the shop, and I really feel like we do. We've got not only momentum, but the No. 19 team just won their first race. A lot of guys on that team have never been to victory lane. Now all those guys know what it's all about. They know what it feels like and they know they can do it. I feel like it was the turning point of that race team, probably the biggest turning point ever. If you remember a year ago, Richmond was a huge turning point (ran second to Ryan Newman) and now a year later we win the race. I believe we've definitely got an advantage over the field because we're just now beginning and they've won, they're already in their own rut and we're into the part we've never been before."
MAYFIELD ROCKS & ROLLS AT RICHMOND!!
* Mayfield earned his fourth career victory (first since Pocono-a 6/19/00), and first with Evernham Motorsports when he took the checkered flag at Richmond on Saturday.
* The victory was also the first win for Team Director, Kenny Francis.
* Mayfield also became the first driver in NASCAR Cup history to score a win in the No. 19 racecar since its first entry in 1975.
THE CHASE IS ON
* By virtue of his 190 points earned at Richmond (including 10 bonus points for leading a race-high 151 laps), Mayfield moved up five positions to clinch the ninth spot in NASCAR's Chase for the Nextel Cup. NASCAR's new point system resets Mayfield's point total to 5010, just 40 behind the series leader.
CAREER AT NEW HAMPSHIRE
* Mayfield has made 17 starts at New Hampshire International Speedway. He has earned two top 10s at the track (including a 10th place finish in July). He has led one race for 10 laps at NHIS.
* He earned his best finish of eighth in the 2000 New England 300, and best start of third in the 2001 New England 300.
WHAT A TURNAROUND
* Mayfield is one of NASCAR's most improved Cup drivers after 26 races this year. Only two drivers this have improved more than 15 spots compared to their 2003 rankings at this point in the season (16 -- E. Sadler, C. Mears).