HUNTERSVILLE, N.C., Tuesday, Sept. 6, 2005 -- The following are Sylvania 300 pre-race notes and quotes for Bobby Labonte, driver of the No. 18 Interstate Batteries Chevrolet for Joe Gibbs Racing. SYLVANIA 300 PRE-RACE NOTES: * Labonte will...
HUNTERSVILLE, N.C., Tuesday, Sept. 6, 2005 -- The following are Sylvania 300 pre-race notes and quotes for Bobby Labonte, driver of the No. 18 Interstate Batteries Chevrolet for Joe Gibbs Racing.
SYLVANIA 300 PRE-RACE NOTES:
* Labonte will attempt to start his 22nd NEXTEL Cup race at New Hampshire International Speedway. He has never scored a victory in NEXTEL Cup competition at NHIS, but finished second in 2000 (fall race) on his way to the championship and third earlier this season.
* In 21 races at NHIS, Labonte has started in the top five nine times (45 percent), including winning the Bud Pole in 2000 (fall race). He has finished in the top five five times, most recently in July.
* In the New England 300 in July at NHIS, Labonte started 10th and finished third.
* In 2004, Labonte started 20th and finished 17th in the first race at New Hampshire. In the second event, he started 13th and finished 18th.
* Labonte is 24th in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup point standings. He has 2,514 points and trails 23rd-place Ricky Rudd by two points.
* The primary car for the Sylvania 300 is chassis No. 84, the same car Labonte drove to third-place in July at NHIS. The car was also used earlier in the year to finish sixth at Phoenix and eighth at Richmond. In 2004, the car was used at: Martinsville 1 (second), Richmond 1 (third), Richmond 2 (16th), New Hampshire 1 (17th), and Martinsville 2 (18th). In 2003, the car was driven by Labonte in fall races at New Hampshire (16th) and Martinsville (41st). It was also driven at Phoenix (36th, accident).
* The back-up car is chassis No. 85, which was used in 2004 at Phoenix where Labonte started 27th and finished ninth. The only other time the car was used was in 2003 at Indianapolis when Labonte started eighth and finished 22nd.
SYLVANIA 300 PRE-RACE QUOTE:
BOBBY LABONTE (No. 18 Interstate Batteries Chevrolet; 2000 NASCAR Champion, 1991 Busch Series Champion): "We're not in the Chase, but that doesn't mean we not going to work hard the last 10 races and try to win. We had a one of our better runs of the year in July at New Hampshire. We found something that worked in the first race and hopefully we can make that work for the second one. We're going to work on finishing out the final ten races as strong as we can."