Bill Elliott No. 9 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Intrepid RUNNING WELL AT NEW HAMPSHIRE "Running at New Hampshire you need the typical things. You've got to have track position, and fuel mileage will be a factor -- it was for us last time. We had a...
No. 9 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Intrepid
RUNNING WELL AT NEW HAMPSHIRE
"Running at New Hampshire you need the typical things. You've got to have track position, and fuel mileage will be a factor -- it was for us last time. We had a good run going, but something happened and some fuel spilled out on our last pit stop. We had to come back in at the very end, and we weren't able to finish where we should have."
GETTING AROUND NEW HAMPSHIRE
"To get around New Hampshire, you basically go down in the corner and stop hard, so you better have good brakes. Once you get in, you've got to pivot the center well so you can get back to the throttle and win the drag race into the next corner. You also have to have enough motor to get off of the corner. Like always, you've got to have the total package."
WHAT ROLE DOES LUCK PLAY IN A DRIVER'S SEASON?
"How many times do people go to Las Vegas, and how many times does luck play a part? There's certain things you can't control. You draw for your qualifying position. You can draw a good draw. You can draw a bad draw. You can't control it. That can dictate your whole weekend. It can dictate where you pit on pit road. It can dictate who you pit around on pit road. It can dictate whether you start in the front or start in the back. If you start in the back and get a bad pit area, then that pretty much dictates your day. How much of that is luck, and how much is it not luck? There are a lot of ifs and ands in this sport."
* This weekend Bill Elliott is scheduled to drive chassis No. 49, which he raced at New Hampshire and Richmond in the spring. This car's best finish was at Richmond, where Elliott started 28th and finished 20th after leading once for six laps.
CAREER AT NEW HAMPSHIRE
* This will be Elliott's 18th career start at New Hampshire Int'l Speedway, where he has one pole, one top-five and three top-10 finishes. Elliott's best finish came in the 1999 Jiffy Lube 300 when he finished fifth. His best New Hampshire start came in the 2002 New England 300 when he took the pole.
WINSTON CUP POINTS RACE
* After being collected in a competitor's accident at Richmond, Elliott loses two positions in the Winston Cup points race. He occupies the 16th spot, 25 points out of the 15th position and 292 out of the top-10.
MOST RECENT RUN AT NEW HAMPSHIRE
* In the July race at New Hampshire, Elliott proved his Dodge was handling well at the "Miracle Mile." After the field was set by owners points due to rain, Elliott started the race in 19th place. He consistently stayed in the top-15 for most of the day. Opting for track position throughout the day, Mike Ford used a variety of calls to keep Elliott in contention, calling for two tires and fuel several times during the course of the race. Elliott reported tight conditions coming off of the corners. On lap 100, Elliott brought his No. 9 Dodge into the pits for gas only, moving into the top-five. He continued to battle with the leaders for the remainder of the race and pitted for what was to be a final time on lap 197 for four tires and fuel. With less than five laps remaining, Elliott was still running in the top 10 when he was forced to pit for fuel, finishing 31st.
* A competitor hampered Elliott's evening during an incident on the backstretch less than 100 laps into last weekend's race at Richmond. Elliott had successfully maneuvered his No. 9 Dodge through the spinning cars when another competitor rear-ended Elliott forcing him to the garage for extensive repairs to the rear of the car. The Dodge Squad didn't give up and successfully repaired the damage, returning Elliott to competition. He was able to complete 302 of the 400 laps, gaining positions by returning to the track. He finished in 37th place and loses two positions in the Winston Cup points race. He occupies the 16th spot, 25 points out of the 15th position and 292 out of the top-10.