Jeremy Mayfield No. 19 Dodge Dealers Intrepid R/T Pocono Preview Success At Pocono "I've had some success at Pocono. I don't know what it is about Pocono. I can't really tell you why I've had such good runs there in the past. I just like...
No. 19 Dodge Dealers Intrepid R/T
Success At Pocono
"I've had some success at Pocono. I don't know what it is about Pocono. I can't really tell you why I've had such good runs there in the past. I just like the place. I guess over the years I just found a set up that works for me. It's a fun race to drive because you have to think the whole time, there's so much going on. I like that kind of racing though. I definitely have a lot of good memories there. Hopefully, we'll have some more after this weekend."
"My best memory from Pocono also has to be my favorite memory in racing so far. It was passing Dale Earnhardt in the final laps to win in 2000 (at Pocono). I just will never forget it. It was an incredible feeling. I knew I had to wait and try and catch him because if I caught him too soon he would pass me and that would be it. So, I waited. He went into the tunnel and he pushed up just a little bit. I was able to get past him on the last lap. It was an awesome feeling to beat Dale Earnhardt on the final lap. It's something that I'll never forget."
STATS & FACTS
* This weekend's race marks Mayfield's 251st career start in the NASCAR Winston Cup Series and his 16th career visit to Pocono Raceway. He has a career-high two wins at the track, as well as three top fives and seven top 10s. Mayfield earned his best start at Pocono (third) in June of 1998, and stayed in front that day to earn his first NASCAR Winston Cup Series career victory . He earned his second win at the track just two years later in the 2000 Pocono 500. Mayfield's most recent start at Pocono came in last fall's Pennsylvania 500 where he started 25th and finished 18th.
* Last weekend at Dover, Jeremy Mayfield experienced trouble with the No. 19 Dodge Dealers Intrepid R/T less than 100 laps into the 400-mile event. He was forced to make a green flag pit stop on lap 71 for a loose handling car. He finished the day in 35th place. He is .
* After last weekend's finish at Dover, Mayfield remains 24th in the driver's points standings -- just 77 points out of 20th place . His season-high ranking this year was 16th, which he reached after an 11th place finish at Martinsville. Mayfield's best overall finish in the Winston Cup points race came in 1998 when he ranked seventh at the season's end.
* Mayfield's second-place run this year at Las Vegas was his best run at the track and his best overall finish since the 2000 Pennzoil 400 at Homestead-Miami where he finished second. The finish also qualified Mayfield for last weekend's Winston No Bull 5 $1 million bonus.
* Coming into the 2002 season, Mayfield had 237 starts, with six poles (two at Talladega and one at Darlington, Dover, Rockingham, and Texas), three wins (two at Pocono, and one at California), 33 top fives and 58 top 10s. His most recent win came at Pocono in June of 2000.