MARK MARTIN: ON THIS WEEK'S RACE IN LAS VEGAS "I've always enjoyed Las Vegas, and we've had a lot of success there over the years. The win there in 1998 really stands out for a number of reasons. It's really hard to believe that it has been 10...
ON THIS WEEK'S RACE IN LAS VEGAS
"I've always enjoyed Las Vegas, and we've had a lot of success there over the years. The win there in 1998 really stands out for a number of reasons. It's really hard to believe that it has been 10 years. We had a new team and it was the first race there, and I can remember leaving the track that night and looking down from the helicopter on the track and thinking 'wow,' this wasn't some dirt track win. Very rarely in my career have I allowed myself to stop for a second and think about a win or anything, but for a few minutes I did that night. It was a big deal to win at Vegas and we had done that. It's still a special win for me.
"I'm excited about going to Vegas with Tony Gibson and this No. 8 team. We missed the setup last weekend at California and it certainly made for a long race. Still, the guys on the team really hung in there. Their work in the pits was excellent and they gained me a ton of positions on pit road. We didn't have a very good car, but we hung in there, fought to the end and finished better than we ran. That says a lot about the guys on this team."
ON THE NATIONWIDE SERIES RACE
"I've always enjoyed running in that race at Vegas and we've had a lot of success there over the years. I'm looking forward to getting back in the No. 5 Chevrolet. Those guys are a lot of fun to work with, and we had some really strong runs last season. We came pretty close to getting a win in the car last year and hopefully we can finish the deal this weekend."
* Martin has eight top-10 finishes in 10 races at LVMS, including five top-fives and a win.
* Martin won the inaugural Cup race at Las Vegas in 1998.
* Martin has led 258 laps (second most) at Las Vegas, including 72 in the last two races there.
* Martin has finished in the top six in seven of his 10 races at Las Vegas.
* Martin is one of just seven drivers to have started all 10 races at Las Vegas.
* Martin has two poles and two wins in four Nationwide races at Las Vegas, including a win in 2005.
* Martin will drive the No. 5 Nationwide car in this week's Nationwide Series race at Las Vegas.