Bill Elliott No. 9 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Intrepid RACING AT LAS VEGAS "We were pretty good there last year and Jeremy's Dodge was pretty hooked up there too. I like the track a lot. It kind of suits the way I like to drive. We didn't test ...
No. 9 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Intrepid
RACING AT LAS VEGAS
"We were pretty good there last year and Jeremy's Dodge was pretty hooked up there too. I like the track a lot. It kind of suits the way I like to drive. We didn't test there but the 19 team did back in January, so we should have some decent notes to go off of. It's not like Rockingham. We wanted to test before we went there, but because of the weather we weren't able to. Then it rained and we didn't get much practice time in. I think we'll be okay this weekend as far as the weather's concerned. We should have some good information though. We'll just work together as a team to get a good starting spot for both cars on Sunday."
ODDS TO WIN THE RACE
"I don't know what my odds are right now as far as what the betmakers are saying. We'll just have to see once we get out on the racetrack. I'm not really a betting man but maybe we'll make someone happy there if we win. The No. 9 Dodge should be pretty good. It's like rolling the dice, you just never know what might come up."
"I can't say that we should be where we are in the standings. We had some unfortunate things happen to us the last two races. The rain and then getting hit on pit road in Daytona. Last week we just didn't have time to work on our race set up. We had a real good qualifying run but we just couldn't get the car where we needed to on Sunday."
Bill Elliott is scheduled to drive the No. 9 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge that he drove in Fontana, Chicago, Charlotte (b) and Phoenix last year. Elliott's highest finish in this Dodge is fourth at Fontana.
CAREER AT LAS VEGAS
* In Elliott's five visits to Las Vegas Motor Speedway he has earned one top-five and three top-10s at the track. His best start came in his first race at the track, when he started fourth and finished ninth in the 1998 Las Vegas 400. Elliott's best finish came at the CarsDirect.com 400 in 2000 when he moved up 35 spots from his provisional start of 39th, to end up fourth on the day.
RECORD SETTING RUN
* Elliott's fourth place finish in 2000 marks the most positions a driver has ever advanced in any Las Vegas Winston Cup Series race (35).
LAST LAS VEGAS RACE
* In the 2002 UAW-DaimlerChrysler 400 at Las Vegas, Elliott started 23rd and finished eighth. Elliott was competitive from the beginning, advancing into the top-10 early on, at times posting the fastest time on the track. Elliott would spend most of the day moving around the top-10 despite a car that was handling a little loose.
* In last Sunday's Subway 400, Elliott started the race in the fifth spot after setting a blistering qualifying lap of 23.710 seconds. The No. 9 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge moved from fifth to third after the race's first lap. As the race's first caution came out on lap 47, Elliott reported to team director Mike Ford that his No. 9 Dodge was handling pretty well. The Dodge Squad gave Elliott a quick pit stop of four tires and fuel, and allowed the No. 9 car to resume the race in second place. Elliott ran within the top-five for the next 20 laps. However, a miscue during a pit stop under the race's third caution took Elliott out of the top 10 by lap 110. As the race wore on, Elliott reported that his Dodge was beginning to run more and more free. As the racetrack surface began to collect more rubber, the No. 9 Dodge became increasingly difficult for Elliott to turn. He made a pit stop under another caution on lap 124 to allow the Dodge Squad to make air pressure adjustments to the car's right side. The No. 9 Dodge exited the pits in the 25th spot. The native of Dawsonville, Ga., finished the day in 32nd place - three laps down from the leader. The finish moves Elliott to 36th in the season standings, though he is just 30 points out of the top-25.
* This weekend's race will mark Elliott's 698th career Winston Cup Series start. In that time Elliott has amassed 43 wins, 55 poles, 166 top-fives and 307 top-tens. If Elliott continues to start every race, he will make his career start number 700 in the March 16, Carolina Dodge Dealers 400 at Darlington. He is currently 36th in point standings.