STATESVILLE, N.C. -- Elliott Sadler is hosting some very special guests at the racetrack this weekend at Kansas Speedway. The 34-year old Emporia, Va. native is hosting three Army servicemen that will soon be re-deployed back to the Middle East....
STATESVILLE, N.C. -- Elliott Sadler is hosting some very special guests at the racetrack this weekend at Kansas Speedway. The 34-year old Emporia, Va. native is hosting three Army servicemen that will soon be re-deployed back to the Middle East. The men contacted Sadler several years ago via the internet prior to a previous deployment and wanted to try to meet him at a race just prior to their departure, unfortunately the meeting never occurred as their deployment was moved up several weeks. Once the men returned from active duty, Sadler finally set up a meeting with them at a race in Talladega. Now, as the three men prepare to venture back oversees, Sadler is planning to host all three for a VIP race weekend during the Chase for the Championship at the 1.5-mile Kansas Speedway.
INFORMATION ON THE ARMY SERVICEMEN HOSTED BY SADLER AT KANSAS:
* SFC Gilliam, 34, Brigade Maintenance Management NCO, 16-year vet, three deployments
* SSG Babineaux, 33, Transportation Management Specialist, 13-year vet, five deployments
* SGT King, 33, Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic and Recovery Specialist, 12-year vet, five deployments
SADLER ON HIS WEEKEND GUESTS: "I'm looking forward to hosting SFC Gilliam,
SSG Babineaux and SGT King. These guys are huge NASCAR fans and Elliott Sadler fans. They got in contact with me several years ago over the Internet and we've stayed in touch ever since. Hopefully this is a nice little going away present for them this weekend. Everyone that knows me realizes I'm a huge supporter of our military. These guys fight for our freedom everyday and this is a chance for me to say, Thank you!"
* Sadler has finished 12th or better in four of the last five races at Kansas Speedway
* Sadler has started 10th or better in four of the eight races at Kansas Speedway, including two top-fives in the last four starts.
* Sadler is tied with Tony Stewart for the longest active non-DNF streak (51 races) of drivers that have competed in every race. Teammate Reed Sorenson now has the longest overall streak at 54 races, but did not compete last season at Infineon.
* Sadler's last DNF occurred on June 1, 2008 at Dover. Both Sadler and Stewart were involved in the same on-track incident to start their current streaks.
* The Best Buy team is bringing chassis No. 274 to Kansas. No. 274 raced to a 14th-place finish at Darlington, finished 12th at Michigan-1, and 25th at Michigan-2. Chassis 259 will serve as the backup.