Target Team Facts: * Final Run: Casey Mears will be making his final start in the No. 41 Target Dodge this weekend at Homestead-Miami Speedway. Mears has been piloting this car since his rookie season in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series three years...
Target Team Facts:
* Final Run: Casey Mears will be making his final start in the No. 41 Target Dodge this weekend at Homestead-Miami Speedway. Mears has been piloting this car since his rookie season in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series three years ago. In three seasons, Mears has accumulated two poles (Pocono, Indianapolis), three top-five and 17 top-10 finishes.
* Standings: Mears and the Target team sit 23rd in the championship points standings after their 22nd-place finish at Phoenix International Raceway. Mears sits 17 points behind 22nd-place driver Kasey Kahne.
* Homestead-Miami: Mears has two starts at Homestead-Miami Speedway in a NEXTEL Cup Series car. His best start at the 1.5-mile track is 15th, while is best finish is 26th. Mears and the team are looking to build on their success at the mile and half tracks this season and earn their first top-10 finish in southern Florida.
* Old Faithful: Chassis #206 will be making its 11th appearance this weekend in the final race of the 2005 season at Homestead-Miami Speedway. Mears most recently drove this chassis to a fourth-place effort at Texas Motor Speedway on Nov. 6. This chassis also finished sixth at Charlotte in October, and had an eighth-place effort at Kansas one week prior. Mears drove this car to two other top-10 finishes this year, a sixth-place finish at Indianapolis and a ninth-place finish at Chicagoland.
* Testing: Crew chief Jimmy Elledge and the Target team tested at Homestead-Miami Speedway in preparation for this weekend's 400-mile race.
Jimmy Elledge Quote:
"We are looking forward to trying to win a race this weekend in the Target Dodge before the season is over. We have been close many times this season and overall we have been very competitive at the 1.5-mile tracks. We did not test the car we are racing at Homestead this weekend but we did try some different set-ups in the car and we validated some things we already knew. The set-up we have used at other 1.5-mile tracks is the one that worked the best at the Homestead test as well."
Casey Mears Quotes:
"We had a good test in Homestead so I'm pretty optimistic about this weekend. We are running a car we know runs well at this type of track, and I would love to give Target a win in my final race in the No. 41 Dodge.
"This season has been full of ups and downs, but recently we have found a rhythm at the mile and a half tracks. We've struggled in qualifying, but once the race starts we really get the car dialed in. Jimmy (Elledge) and the team have found something at these tracks that makes us competitive every time we race."