Sterling Marlin And Jason Leffler, Chip Ganassi Racing EVENT: Sharpie 500 Bristol Motor Speedway, .533-mile oval DATES: Qualifying: Friday, August 24, 3:05 Race: Saturday, August 25, 8:00 p.m. (ET) BROADCAST: Television: TNT coverage begins...
Sterling Marlin And Jason Leffler, Chip Ganassi Racing
EVENT: Sharpie 500 Bristol Motor Speedway, .533-mile oval
DATES: Qualifying: Friday, August 24, 3:05 Race: Saturday, August 25, 8:00 p.m. (ET)
BROADCAST: Television: TNT coverage begins at 7:0 Radio: PRN coverage begins at 7:30 p.m. (ET)
· Marlin became the first Dodge to win in 2001 last weekend at Michigan. He is currently fourth in overall NASCAR Winston Cup Series championship points. His highest championship finish ever is third (1995) when he won three races and scored nine top-5 finishes.
· Marlin is the only driver to remain in the top-10 in NASCAR Winston Cup championship points all season.
· At Bristol, Marlin has 33 starts, finished as high as second (once), had two top-fives, 13 top-10s, and won $657,082. He ranks 11th on Bristol's all-time money list for NASCAR Winston Cup drivers.
· Dominant Dodge: Marlin has lead the way for Dodge all season. He has seven top-fives and 11 top-10s.
· The No. 40 Dodge Intrepid R/T will have a Target paint scheme at Bristol.
· Leffler has two Busch Series starts at Bristol. His best finish is 25th and he has earned $19,710 in winnings.
· Leffler is currently fourth in Raybestos Rookie-of-the-Year points.
· Leffler's best start of the season is 11th in the Pepsi 400 at Michigan. His best finish is 13th in the MBNA Platinum 400 at Dover.
Lee McCall, crew chief, No. 40 Coors Light Dodge Intrepid R/T:
"A win is always good for team morale and our guys have always known we could win we just had to do it. Not only are the road guys excited but the whole shop has gotten a momentum booster for the rest of the year. Bristol is a good track for Sterling and we have a couple more coming up that we like so having a win now during this 20-race stretch definitely is a momentum booster for our team."
"At Bristol it is important to qualify up front and pit on the front stretch. Things happen really fast there and you've got to stay out of trouble to finish well."
"I'm really excited about the No. 40 Target paint scheme. It's nice to give Target some exposure and at the same time give Coors Light exposure. My favorite color is red and I'm hoping we can give Target a good finish since this is their first time participating in the NASCAR Winston Cup Series."
Matt Chambers, crew chief, No. 01 Cingular Wireless Dodge Intrepid R/T:
"Sterling has been real good at Bristol in the past and Jason and Sterling's car set-ups have come closer together now than in the Spring when we went to Bristol. We're going to go to Bristol basically the same as the 40 car set-up wise."
"Jason is very comfortable with going back to Bristol. He knows what he did wrong in qualifying in the Spring. He was good in practice but wasn't fast enough in qualifying and we didn't have a provisional so we had to sit that one out. But we are confident and ready for Bristol this weekend."