Kurt Busch's first-place finish in today's NAPA 500 enabled Ford Racing to clinch the 2002 manufacturer's championship.Â Ford now holds an insurmountable 26-point lead over second-place Chevrolet with three races remaining. The championship...
Kurt Busch's first-place finish in today's NAPA 500 enabled Ford Racing to clinch the 2002 manufacturer's championship. Ford now holds an insurmountable 26-point lead over second-place Chevrolet with three races remaining.
The championship marks the third time in Taurus' five-year history that Ford has won the manufacturer's top prize and 15th overall.
Ford's depth proved to be a key factor this season as 9-of-13 full-time drivers scored points, led by Matt Kenseth, Ryan Newman and Kurt Busch. Those three have been Ford's highest finisher six times each.
Manufacturer Championship Tidbits
* Ford has won the manufacturer's championship three times in the last four years (1999, 2000, 2002).
* Ford is the only manufacturer to have at least one car finish in the top five of every race.
* Ford has had only one fourth-place manufacturer finish and has been either first or second 27 times.
* Ford has won a series-best six manufacturer's championships since 1992.
* Ford has had nine different drivers score manufacturer points.
* Ford leads the NASCAR Winston Cup Series with 12 wins.
* Ford driver Matt Kenseth leads all drivers with four wins this season.
* Ford has had six different drivers win races -- most among manufacturers.
* Ford drivers Kurt Busch and Ryan Newman registered their first series wins.
Ford's Previous Manufacturer Championships (Modern Era Only)
1992 -- Clinched at North Wilkesboro by Geoffrey Bodine (Won Holly Farms 400)
1994 -- Clinched at Martinsville by Rusty Wallace (Won Goody's 500)
1997 -- Clinched at Martinsville by Jeff Burton (Won Hanes 500)
1999 -- Clinched at Phoenix by Mark Martin (Finished 2nd in Checker Auto Parts/DuraLube 500K)
2000 -- Clinched at Rockingham by Dale Jarrett (Won Pop Secret 400)
2002 -- Clinched at Atlanta by Kurt Busch (Won NAPA 500)
Ford drivers who scored manufacturer's points this season: Matt Kenseth (6 times); Ryan Newman (6 times); Kurt Busch (6 times); Rusty Wallace (4 times); Mark Martin (3 times); Dale Jarrett (3 times); Ricky Rudd (2 times); Elliott Sadler (2 times); Jeff Burton (once).
Ford's Manufacturer Championship Seasons (15): 1956, 1957, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1992, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2000 and 2002.
NOTE: Points are awarded to the top finisher for each manufacturer on a 9-6-4-3 basis.