RUDD TO CELEBRATE 900th CAREER START AT CALIFORNIA CHARLOTTE, NC (August 28, 2007) -- The NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series travels West to California Speedway this weekend for Sunday's Sharp AQUOS 500. Ricky Rudd who is known as NASCAR's "Iron Man" will...
RUDD TO CELEBRATE 900th CAREER START AT CALIFORNIA
CHARLOTTE, NC (August 28, 2007) -- The NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series travels West to California Speedway this weekend for Sunday's Sharp AQUOS 500. Ricky Rudd who is known as NASCAR's "Iron Man" will celebrate another career milestone with his 900th career start this Labor Day weekend. Rudd began racing go-karts at the age of nine and did not start racing stock cars until he was 18. As a 31-year veteran of the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series, Rudd has a resume to rival many of stock car's racing legends, and this weekend when he straps into his #88 Snickers® Generation Max^Ù Ford Fusion, he'll add his 900th career start to the list. Rudd is known as NASCAR's "Iron Man" due to his record for the most consecutive starts at 788. Rudd was chosen as one of NASCAR's Top 50 Drivers of all-time and has received additional honors such as the 2006 Virginian of the Year and in 2007 he was inducted into the Virginia Motorsports Hall of Fame.
Quoting Snickers Generation Max Driver, Ricky Rudd:
How does it feel to have your 900th career start this weekend?
"This is a record that just kind of sneaks up on you. I started out as one of the youngest guys in this sport and now I'm one of the oldest guys out there still racing. It's a real honor to be able to have this kind of longevity with a long and fruitful career. I've been so lucky to have remained healthy and competitive to have made it to 900 starts this weekend in my Snickers® Generation Max^Ù Ford." I have been lucky to have had wonderful sponsors, teams, and fans supporting me throughout these years. I look back at my career and I still am amazed at the opportunities I have been able to enjoy. My 900th career start is honestly a record I hadn't kept track of, but it is a great honor to solidify myself in the record books as the driver with the second-most all-time career starts."
NOTES OF INTEREST:
* Rudd will make his 900th Career Start this weekend at California Speedway which solidifies his second-place standing on the All-Time Career Starts list of all NEXTEL Cup Series drivers
* Rudd will be featured as the NEXTEL Wake-Up Call driver on Friday, August 31st at California Speedway
* Rudd has an average starting position of 27.3, and an average finish of 16.9 at California
* Rudd has completed 2,774 of 3,004 laps at California (91.7 percent) and has led 12 laps
* Rudd's best start at California is from third which he accomplished in 2000 for the NAPA Auto Parts 500
* Rudd's best finish at California is third which he accomplished during his first race at the track in 1997