Car Info: Raced in both spring and fall Pocono races and started 5th at the spring Michigan race JEREMY MAYFIELD QUOTES "We're in a lot better position with two races left to set the Chase field than we were a year ago. However, nothing has...
Raced in both spring and fall Pocono races and started 5th at the spring Michigan race
JEREMY MAYFIELD QUOTES
"We're in a lot better position with two races left to set the Chase field than we were a year ago. However, nothing has been settled yet. We're not going to California and drop our guard down and go there not to win the race. We've battled all year to get to this point. We're not going to leave anything on the table in California or Richmond. "We're going to California open minded, but knowing we need to get all the points we can. The first objective is to win the race. Slugger (Labbe, the crew chief) and Kenny (Francis, the team director) go to every race with that objective. If we're not in a position to win at the end, then we want to gain all the points we can. "I do know we'll be a lot better this weekend than we were for the second race of the year. We struggled early in the year with the tire and spoiler change and the introduction of the new Dodge Charger. Slugger, Kenny and the team have done a great job getting things sorted out."
STATS & FACTS
JEREMY MAYFIELD AT CALIFORNIA
* This weekend's race marks Mayfield's 11th career visit to California Speedway. He has one win, three top-fives, four top-10s and 59 laps led at the track.
* Mayfield earned his best start of second in his second career start at the speedway in 1998.
* Mayfield earned his second career NASCAR Cup Series victory in the 2000 NAPA Auto Parts 500, beating Bobby Labonte by one-third of a second at California. Mayfield started 24th after qualifying was rained out, and he passed Mark Martin to lead his first and only laps of the day with 25 left to go.
* After his victory at Michigan, Mayfield assumed the sixth position in the NASCAR Cup Series rankings for the first time in his career since February of 2000.
* Mayfield has never ranked higher than sixth after 24 races in a Cup season. The last time he ranked this high so late into a season was in 1998, when he alternated between sixth and seventh in the standings throughout the final 14 races of the season. He finished the season a career-high seventh-place ranking.
MAYFIELD ON PACE FOR 2005 CHASE
* Mayfield is on pace to repeat as a Chase contender in 2005. He surged to sixth in the points standings after his victory at Michigan, and is just 31 points out of the fifth spot in the standings.
* Mayfield's current point total of 2,983 is 100 points greater than his total after 24 races in 2004. Mayfield qualified for the 2004 Chase for the Nextel Cup by just 22 points after a thrilling victory at Richmond.
* Mayfield has climbed from a low rank of 26th after Las Vegas to a season-high sixth-place ranking.
LEAVING NOTHING ON THE TABLE
* Mayfield ranks second on the Nextel Cup circuit in laps completed (99.3%) among drivers who have competed in every race this year. Mayfield has finished 17 of 23 races on the lead lap, and he has only one DNF in 2005.
MAYFIELD WINS AT MICHIGAN!!!
* Mayfield scored his fifth career NASCAR Nextel Cup victory in his 368th career start in last week's GFS Marketplace 400 at Michigan International Speedway.
* The victory was Mayfield's second win at Evernham Motorsports, and his first career win at Michigan.
* The win marked the first time in team history that two Evernham Motorsports teammates had each won a Nextel Cup race in the same season.
* The win was also the first Dodge Charger victory at MIS since Richard Petty drove to the checkered flag in August, 1975.
2005 CAREER BESTS
* Mayfield marked up his fifth NASCAR NEXTEL Cup victory at the 2-mile Michigan Int'l Speedway.
* Mayfield's fourth place finish at Indianapolis was a career-high finish at the historic track. Mayfield also notched a career-best finish at Talladega when he finished fourth there in April, and he tied his career-best seventh place finish at Infineon Raceway in June.