Kyle Petty ...
Kyle Petty #45 Wells Fargo Dodge
"The finish didn't show how good they ran, but I'm encouraged by the race that Chad and the rest of the No. 45 Wells Fargo Dodge guys had at Loudon. Once they got their lap back they were putting down some fast times. That gives me confidence that we can have a similar race this weekend. Stewart (Cooper, crew chief) is becoming more and more comfortable with these cars each race. I can see progress being made each week."
"You know, there are some tracks that you just take to the first time you race there. For me two of those tracks were Rockingham and Dover. I always enjoyed the way you raced at those places; the mindset that it took to go 500 miles, which used to be the distance at Dover. Dover is a beast of a racetrack and it's probably the most physically demanding track on the schedule. But I think everyone enjoys it because it's so unique."
"I'll never forget that 1995 win at Dover. We started 37th that day and wound up leading over half of the race. We had a really fast racecar, but we were also had luck on our side. You have to have both to win any race. The last 10 laps of that race were intense. I had a pretty big lead, but Bobby (Labonte) was running me down by over five car lengths a lap. He pulled to the outside of me on the last lap and we had a heck of a race to the finish line. That race was a lot of fun, especially since Bobby and I are teammates now."
Kyle Petty Fast Facts
* Petty has competed in 51 races at Dover going back to the 'spring' race in 1980.
* Petty's numbers at Dover are solid. One win, seven top-fives and 14 top-tens. He has led 550 laps at the one-mile oval.
* Petty's 1995 win came in dominating fashion as he led 271 of the 500 laps that made up the race.
* Petty should surpass the 20,000 lap mark at Dover this weekend. He has completed 19,909 of 23,704 laps in his 51 starts.
* Petty will be the opening act for the Dale Jr. charity concert and memorabilia auction at Whisky River on Oct. 12. Petty, who briefly dabbled in music early in his career, will open for acclaimed recording artist Gary Allan.