DALE EARNHARDT JR. / DRIVER, ...
DALE EARNHARDT JR. / DRIVER, #8 BUDWEISER CHEVROLET:
On Dover International Speedway:
"We've never been consistent at Dover, but we've won there, so there's always that small piece of confidence in the back of your mind that we can do it again. I'm looking forward to going back with Tony Jr. and seeing how much better we can be. We seem to improve each week, so I like the direction we're heading, and hopefully we can keep it rolling. The difference between our car in the All-Star race versus the same car in the 600 shows how hard they've been working."
On maintaining fifth place in points after an eventful Charlotte race:
"It was definitely eventful. I know on paper an 11th-place finish isn't anything to brag about, but from where we were at the beginning of the week -- or even at the beginning of the weekend for that matter -- it was pretty cool to come out of there the way we did. I was happy about it, and I can't describe how much fun it is to pass so many cars. (NASCAR's new loop scoring system showed Dale Jr. passed 112 cars under green flag conditions.) We ran in the top-five, and had that caliber of car most of the night, but in looking at the big picture, we didn't hurt ourselves in the points. We're building a gap on the rest of the top-10, and at this point of the year, that's all that matters."
On how he spent Memorial Day:
"We had a big company party for all the folks at JR Motorsports. It was pretty cool. We had fun, and it's always nice to get the day off."
Dale Earnhardt Jr. and the #8 Budweiser team enter the Dover race weekend fifth in the Nextel Cup point standings, 271 points behind leader Jimmie Johnson and 40 points behind fourth-place Tony Stewart. Through 12 races, Dale Jr. has one win (Richmond), four top-fives and five top-10s. The #8 Chevy has led four races for 88 laps.
DOVER NOTEBOOK ON THE BUD TEAM:
* Dale Jr. scored one of his 17 career victories at Dover (Sept. 23, 2001), notable for being the first NASCAR race following 9/11. Junior led 193 laps that day.
* In 12 starts, Junior has one win, three top-fives and five top-10s at DIS.
* The Bud team has led seven of 12 races at Dover for 365 laps.
* Junior has won three times on one-mile tracks (twice at Phoenix, once at Dover). In the last 18 "one-mile" races, Dale has scored eight top-fives and 11 top-10s.
* The Brew Crew has finished 12th or better in all but two of the 12 races this season.