* Standings: Casey Mears and the Texaco/Havoline team are now 15th in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series following their 20th-place finish at Infineon Raceway. Mears sits just 188 points out of 10th with 10 races remaining before...
* Standings: Casey Mears and the Texaco/Havoline team are now 15th in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series following their 20th-place finish at Infineon Raceway. Mears sits just 188 points out of 10th with 10 races remaining before the "Chase to the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup."
* Daytona Bound: Mears will return to Daytona International Speedway, the site of his best career-finish in the NEXTEL Cup Series. Mears drove the No. 42 Texaco/Havoline Dodge to a second-place finish in the 2006 Daytona 500 earlier this season. He has six other starts at the 2.5-mile superspeedway, but the 2006 race in February is his only top-10 finish. His best finish in the Pepsi 400 is 11th in July of 2004.
* Testing: Mears and his teammates David Stremme and Reed Sorenson are testing at The Milwaukee Mile this week in preparation for the race at New Hampshire International Speedway. Mears and crew members from the Texaco/Havoline team are shaking down their short-track car for the New England 400 at Loudon where Mears will be looking to capture his first top-10 finish.
* Floridians: The Texaco/Havoline crew has two Floridians on its team. Jackman Mark Jacobs is from Fort Walton Beach in the Sunshine State and played football at the University of Kentucky. Mears' eye's-in-the-sky, spotter Tab Boyd, hails from Pensacola in the Florida Panhandle.
* Chassis: Crew chief Donnie Wingo and the Texaco/Havoline team are taking the chassis, #606 that Mears drafted to a second-place finish at Daytona. It is the only race this chassis has competed in so far this season.
* Help us Celebrate: The 2007 season will mark Texaco/Havoline's 20th year as a sponsor in NASCAR. From Davey Allison to Mears, Texaco/Havoline has a rich history in the sport. To commemorate its history, Texaco/Havoline is printing a one-of-a-kind book filled with photos and stories submitted by fans, drivers, crew members and media. Fans can submit their favorite story, interesting tale or special moment in their life involving the Texaco/Havoline race team at www.texacohavoline42.com or by calling 800-518-0028 through the end of July.
Casey Mears Quotes:
"Obviously I'm looking forward to going back to Daytona. The Daytona 500 was one of the most memorable moments of my NASCAR career. We are taking back the same car that drafted so well in February and hopefully we will have similar results. We all know anything can happen in the restrictor plate races, but if the race is clean I know that we have a car that can go to the front.
"The Texaco/Havoline team is working hard to prepare great cars right now, and we are focused on making the Chase. Last week we were caught up in a wreck on the first lap, but we recovered to finish 20th. This week went to Milwaukee to try and improve our short track program and get ready for Loudon. We have 10 races left to get back in the hunt and I know we have the capabilities to do it."