Jeremy Mayfield No. 19 Dodge Dealers Intrepid R/T Previous Darlington Runs I've run pretty well at Darlington, especially the last couple of times. In 2000, I got caught in a couple of wrecks but we were leading there too for awhile. I...
No. 19 Dodge Dealers Intrepid R/T
Previous Darlington Runs
I've run pretty well at Darlington, especially the last couple of times. In 2000, I got caught in a couple of wrecks but we were leading there too for awhile. I finished third in last year's Carolina Dodge Dealers 400, and that was pretty good. We're hoping for another good run for the Dodge Dealers in the No. 19 Dodge.
Outlook For This Weekend's Carolina Dodge Dealers 400
Hopefully we can have a good run this year too. It's ones of my favorite places to race. It's a tough place. I've never won there but I've come close a couple of times. I feel like it kind of owes me one. I think everyone goes to Darlington kind of feeling like that, but I definitely think I'm due there.
Keys to Darlington
You really have to race the racetrack at Darlington. I know you hear that a lot but it's true. You've got to stay out of trouble and stay out of the wall because you start sliding and then the sand can get on the track. I don't know how it gets there, but it always seems to get on the racetrack. That means that you've got to watch your tires because the track can get pretty abrasive and they wear down fast.
A lot of people were saying that Atlanta was going to be a big test for the one-engine rule. I'm real proud of our guys. We didn't have any trouble. I know some people did, but we were able to get out of there without any problems and that shows you that we're heading in the right direction with the Evernham Motorsports engine program.
Stats & Facts
* This weekend's race marks Mayfield's 16th career start at Darlington. He has one pole, five top fives, five top 10s and has led seven races for a total 320 laps at the track. Mayfield's fourth career pole position came in Sept. of 2000 at Darlington, where he led 104 out of 120 laps before an accident took him out of the race. Jeremy earned his best Darlington finish (second) in March of 1999, leading four times for 48 laps on the day. His first start at the track came in Sept. of 1994, where he started 25th and finished 33rd after an engine failure took him out of the race.
* Mayfield's most recent start at Darlington came in last September's Mountain Dew Southern 500, where he started third and finished 13th after leading the race twice for a total of 53 laps. In the 2001 Carolina Dodge Dealers 400, Mayfield started 37th and finished third.
* After starting 40th in last weekend's MBNA America 500 at Atlanta, Mayfield spent the day trying to hold on to track position. The No. 19 Dodge Intrepid R/T was tight from the start. The Dew Crew tried various adjustments throughout the day to correct its handling. Mayfield battled back up through the field and was able to hold on for a 23rd place finish. He moves from 18th into the 19th position in the Winston Cup points standings.
* Since the Daytona 500 this Feb., Mayfield has moved up 20 spots in the championship points race (from 39th to 19th). His best finish in the points race came in the 1998 season where he ranked seventh at the end of the year.
* Mayfield's second-place run this year at Las Vegas was his best run at the track and his best overall finish since the 2000 Pennzoil 400 at Homestead-Miami where he finished second.
* His second place finish at Las Vegas, qualified Mayfield for the Winston No Bull 5 $1 million bonus, which will be run at the Charlotte race in May.
* Coming into the 2002 season, Mayfield had 237 starts, with six poles (two at Talladega and one at Darlington, Dover, Rockingham, and Texas), three wins (two at Pocono, and one at California), 33 top fives and 58 top 10s. His most recent win came at Pocono in June of 2000.