KEVIN HARVICK Harvick Set to Feature Third Expertise Challenge Race at Chicagoland HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. (July 5, 2006) -- GM Goodwrench driver Kevin Harvick is set to feature the third of 12 ...
Harvick Set to Feature Third Expertise Challenge Race at Chicagoland
HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. (July 5, 2006) -- GM Goodwrench driver Kevin Harvick is set to feature the third of 12 #29 Goodwrench Expertise Challenge races this Sunday, July 9th when the green flag waves for the running of the USG Sheetrock 400 at Chicagoland Speedway. When the Goodwrench marketing executives sat down to set the 12-race schedule for this national promotion they couldn't have picked a better one to challenge Harvick and his GM Goodwrench team to win. Harvick has two victories (2001 and 2002), two top-five and three top-ten finishes, which is tops among active drivers at Chicagoland.
"Chicago has been really good to us," said Harvick. "We have won a couple races there and had a lot of success. A lot of it goes back to the very first test that RCR had there. It was a great test and we applied a lot of that stuff over to the next couple of years and have been able to manage a lot of success there. I really look forward to going back there every year."
Twenty-nine lucky fans will receive an all-new 2007 Chevy Avalanche if Harvick wins 2 of the 12 selected NASCAR Nextel Cup races. GM Goodwrench will also set up a $200,000 scholarship fund to encourage young men and women to pursue careers as automotive technicians after the two wins occur. With one win already under Harvick's belt this year and his combined expertise of Joilet, Illinois's 1.5-mile D-shaped oval, the challenge could quite possibly play out in Harvick's favor.
Fans can join the challenge by visiting a Chevrolet dealership or a Chevy display at select NASCAR events to get a ticket with an official promotion code. They then visit goodwrench.com/expert, enter the promotion code and submit the registration form to receive a sweepstakes entry. They can also visit goodwrench.com/expert to get a promotion code and complete the registration process. The next #29 Goodwrench Expertise Challenge race will take place at New Hampshire International Raceway on July 16th.
Points of Interest...
* Track Stat...Kevin Harvick has five Cup Series starts at Chicagoland Speedway. Of those five starts, he has compiled a record of two wins, two top-five and three top-10 finishes, which is tops among active drivers. He is the only driver with multiple Chicagoland victories. He finished 19th last year after starting ninth, which has been his worst effort there. Harvick has led in three races totaling 188 laps.
* Avg. Start/Avg. Finish...Kevin Harvick's average starting position at Chicagoland Speedway is 15.0, with his best start of sixth coming in 2001where he went on to finish first. Harvick's average finishing position is 9.6, with his best finish of first coming twice in 2001 and 2002.
* Chase for the NEXTEL Cup...Kevin Harvick finished ninth at Daytona to climb one spot in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup point standings. Harvick now sits in the ninth spot, 413 markers out of the lead.
* Runnin It...Harvick will be behind the wheel of chassis No. 134 this weekend. This chassis has not been used yet this year, but it made six starts in 2005. Its best finish was fifth at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in March.
* GM Goodwrench Pit Crew Appearance...The No. 29 GM Goodwrench pit crew will make an appearance this Sunday from 11:15 a.m. until 11:45 a.m. at the No. 29 GM Goodwrench/Reese's souvenir hauler. The team will be on hand to meet fans and sign autographs.
* #29 Goodwrench Expertise Challenge...29 lucky fans will receive an all-new 2007 Chevy Avalanche if GM Goodwrench driver Kevin Harvick wins 2 of 12 selected NASCAR Nextel Cup races. GM Godwrench will also set up a $200,000 scholarship fund to encourage young men and women to pursue careers as automotive technicians after the two wins occur. Fans can join the challenge by visiting a Chevrolet dealership or a Chevy display at select NASCAR events to get a ticket with an official promotion code. They then visit goodwrench.com/expert, enter the promotion code and submit the registration form to receive a sweepstakes entry. They can also visit goodwrench.com/expert to get a promotion code and complete the registration process. The next Expertise Challenge race will take place at New Hampshire International Raceway during the running of the New England 300 on July 16th.
* Victory Lane Savings Promotion...GM Goodwrench driver Kevin Harvick gave all GM customers and NASCAR fans their first chance to cash in on a $10 rebate when he won the Subway Fresh 500 at Phoenix International Raceway on Saturday, April 22, 2006. Throughout the remainder of the 2006 NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series season, anytime the No. 29 GM Goodwrench/Reese's Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS is first past the checkers, the first 5,000 people who visit goodwrench.com starting at 3 a.m. EDT the Monday after the win can celebrate with a $10 mail-in rebate.
* Did you know....GM Goodwrench offers convenient, efficient Goodwrench Multipoint Vehicle Inspections, comprehensive diagnostic testing and complete maintenance and service capabilities, just like a NASCAR race pit stop. GM Goodwrench is prepped to conveniently maintain and repair GM vehicles with a full line of products for one-stop service at over 7,000 GM dealership locations nationwide.
* The Service Brand...GM Goodwrench is the service brand for GM vehicles -- Chevrolet, Buick, Pontiac, GMC, HUMMER and Cadillac. With dealerships located nationwide, the GM Goodwrench network is one of the largest automotive service chains in the industry. GM Goodwrench technicians receive specialized training from General Motors to provide expert care for GM cars and trucks. Genuine GM replacement parts are manufactured to the same specifications of the GM vehicle. For more information, visit the GM Goodwrench web site at goodwrench.com .
* Start time...On Sunday July 9th, the running of the USG Sheetrock 400 is set to begin at 3:00 p.m. EDT on TNT. If you can't catch the race on TV, it can be heard on your local MRN Radio affiliate and XM Satellite Radio -- Channel 144 starting at the same time. Remember to check your local listings as dates and times of the race may change.
No. 29 GM Goodwrench driver Kevin Harvick on Chicagoland Speedway...
Talk about your spin in the grass and how it played out for a victory at Chicago?
"I didn't go through the grass on purpose. I spun out and the grass is way away from the racetrack there, so it's not something that you can drive through. It actually probably won the race for us. We were able to pit and the caution came out a few laps later and everybody else had to pit. We were able to stay out. So it probably won us the race that year."
What's unique about the racetrack?
"Probably that you go through the corners pretty much wide open. You let off sooner than you do at most places, and you drive it all the way through the corners under power. That's not extremely different from other tracks, but there is a lot more throttle there than at most places. You get back in it (the gas) a lot quicker than you do at most places."
With more wins among active drivers at Chicagoland, do you think you have it figured out a little better than anyone else?
"I think everybody has got the driving part figured out. Right now, it's more about the little things, like shock package. Shocks are probably the biggest part of it. It's really more about picking apart your racecar and coming up with that unique set-up. We had it the first two years we went to Chicago and were pretty close last year as well."