RACE NOTES Chicagoland Speedway * Johnson has made seven Sprint Cup Series starts at Chicagoland Speedway, posting six top-10 and five top-five finishes. * The 1.5-mile oval is one of only six Sprint Cup tracks on which Johnson hasn't...
* Johnson has made seven Sprint Cup Series starts at Chicagoland Speedway, posting six top-10 and five top-five finishes.
* The 1.5-mile oval is one of only six Sprint Cup tracks on which Johnson hasn't visited Victory Lane. The others are Bristol, Infineon, Michigan, Watkins Glen, and Homestead.
* The three-time Champion has completed 97.6% (1827 of 1872) of competition laps there and has led 176.
* Johnson has an average start and finish of 9.3 and 8.1.
* Johnson will pilot chassis No. 552 in Sunday's Sprint Cup event, which he last drove to a 22nd-place finish at Michigan in June.
* Backup chassis No. 465 was last driven at Dover in May, where Johnson took it to Victory Lane.
CHAD KNAUS, ROCKFORD, IL NATIVE:
"I always enjoy going to Chicagoland and back to Illinois for races. I don't get there very often with the busy schedule I have, but it's where I got my start in racing so I have a lot of good memories from the area.
"We still haven't gotten the win in Chicago, so we'll be going after it this weekend. We always run well there -- I think we've only finished outside the top five or so twice. But for some reason things haven't worked out for us yet to get to Victory Lane. We're taking a good car -- the one we had in Michigan (led 146 of 200 laps) when we ran out of gas. So maybe this is our year we can finally get a win near my hometown."
THE POINTS RACE IS REALLY TIGHT RIGHT NOW. IS IT TOO EARLY TO START TAKING RISKS AND MAKING SURE THAT YOU GET UP AS HIGH IN POINTS AS POSSIBLE? "You try to. We took a risk at Michigan and it didn't pay off and it hurt us pretty good in the points and if you can make some conscious decision to take risks but in general we are all putting in everything we can and all you can really do is a two tire stop or try to stretch a fuel window. Outside of that we are all doing everything we can to win the race."