No. 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Charger Race Facts JEREMY MAYFIELD QUOTES On coming to Chicago: "It's a great racetrack. A lot of people call it -- critics call it -- a cookie cutter racetrack or whatever, but it's definitely one of my ...
No. 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Charger Race Facts
JEREMY MAYFIELD QUOTES
On coming to Chicago:
"It's a great racetrack. A lot of people call it -- critics call it -- a cookie cutter racetrack or whatever, but it's definitely one of my favorite places. I don't know, I just like it there. It just seems like it's probably because it's like home, there's corn fields around there, too. There's a lot of farming going on. I just like it. I'm not sure what it is. It's smooth, it's fast. I think it puts on a great race for the fans. Everybody there is real receptive of us when we come into town and really feel good about it. I just love going there, one of my favorites."
On trying to make the 2005 Chase for the Nextel Cup:
"It's pretty much the same story for everybody. I think you've got to run hard and you can't be conservative and you can't be not taking chances. You have to take chances and gamble a little bit; that's what we've done and that's what we're going to have to continue to do when we get there. Yeah, it is going to be nerve 'wracking and I'm sure we're going to be able to put a good show on for the fans for the few weeks before the Chase cut-off there."
STATS & FACTS
JEREMY MAYFIELD AT CHICAGO
* This weekend will mark Mayfield's fifth career start at Chicagoland Speedway. He has earned one top five, two top 10s, and he led last year's race for a total of 26 laps led.
* Mayfield earned his best finish of fifth in last year's race after starting 19th. He earned his best start of fifth in 2003 and went on to finish 10th.
* In the past two races, only four drivers have had more success at Chicago than Mayfield. His most recent finishes of 10th and fifth give him an average finish of 7.5.
LEAVING NOTHING ON THE TABLE
* Mayfield ranks third on the NASCAR circuit in laps completed (99.1%) among drivers who have competed in every race this year. Mayfield has finished 11 of 17 races on the lead lap and has only one DNF in 2005.
NEW IN-HOUSE EVERNHAM CHASSIS
* At Chicago, Mayfield will pilot the same in-house Evernham Motorsports chassis that he drove to a season-best finish of fourth at Charlotte this May.
* After racing at Daytona, Mayfield gained ground in his race into the top 10. He remains 11th in the NASCAR points standings, but he is just one point outside of the top 10. Mayfield is just 144 points outside of the top five.
* Mayfield's current point total of 2,029 is 81 points ahead his total after 17 races in 2004. Mayfield qualified for the 2004 Chase for the Nextel Cup by just 22 points after his thrilling victory at Richmond.
2005 CAREER BESTS
* Mayfield's seventh-place finish at Infineon Raceway tied his career best finish at the track. Mayfield also earned a career-best finish at Talladega this year when he finished fourth in May.