JEREMY MAYFIELD QUOTES "I like coming to Chicagoland Speedway. It's one of those tracks that I like a little bit more each time I get out there. Last year was our best finish at the track so far (finishing 10th), so we're going to try to...
JEREMY MAYFIELD QUOTES
"I like coming to Chicagoland Speedway. It's one of those tracks that I like a little bit more each time I get out there. Last year was our best finish at the track so far (finishing 10th), so we're going to try to keep improving from there. It's a smooth track with a lot of grip, and it's getting a little more racey each time we race on it. I like the city of Chicago, and I think it's awesome to get out in front of more and more fans in the Midwest. They've been really good to us every time we've been out there.
"We've got some good tracks coming up. I feel like we're more geared up than ever. I feel like I've paid my dues. I'm headed back to the top, and it feels good to be able to do that. There's always more room for improvement, and that's something I don't ever want to forget. We've got to keep proving it every week, and if we do that we'll be all right. I learn something every week on how to drive these racecars. We've got to continue doing that until we get to the top."
STATS & FACTS
CAREER AT CHICAGO
* Mayfield has made three starts at Chicagoland Speedway. He earned his best finish of 10th and best start of fifth in last year's Tropicana 400. The run is Mayfield's sole top-10 at the track.
MAYFIELD BEGINS 2004 SEASON IN HIGH GEAR
* After 17 races, Mayfield's average finish (17.29) is more than six spots ahead of what it was at this point last year. Mayfield has also earned 359 more points, and ranks 15 positions higher in the points standings than he did heading into last year's Tropicana 400.
DOVER POLE POSITION
* Mayfield earned his first pole position of 2004 and the eighth pole of his career this June at Dover. Mayfield lapped the speedway in 22.288 seconds, 161.522 mph. He broke Rusty Wallace's track-qualifying record of 22.505 seconds, 159.964 mph, set Sept. 24, 1999.
* The qualifying record was the second of three records set by Evernham Motorsports this season (Kahne -- Las Vegas, Mayfield -- Dover, Kahne -- Pocono).
ADDING UP THE POINTS
* After running at Daytona, Mayfield moves to 12th in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series points standings. He is 147 points out of the top 10, and 241 points out of fifth place.
TESTING AT N.H.I.S.
* Mayfield tested his No. 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Monday and Tuesday of this week at the New Hampshire International Speedway.
LAST WEEKEND AT DAYTONA
* Mayfield qualified 16th for the Pepsi 400 It was his second best qualifying effort in Daytona's summer event -- he started 10th last July. The No. 19 Dew Crew spent Friday's practice session looking to improve the Dodge's handling in the draft. Rain halted the start of the race for two hours, but when the green flag was finally displayed, Kenny Francis and the crew realized the No. 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge wasn't turning in the corners and would need adjustments to improve the handling. On each pit stop, the Dew Crew made chassis and air pressure adjustments attempting to correct a loose in/tight off problem. On the final two trips down pit road, the team went with two-tire pit stops to improve track position. Francis' pit road calls paid off, as Mayfield finished 22nd for the day and gained one position in the standings, up to 12th.