The Home Depot Team Notes of Interest * Happy Birthday! Joey Logano will spend his 19th birthday behind the wheel of The Home Depot Toyota in his first 600-mile race on Sunday at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Logano competed in the Sprint ...
The Home Depot Team Notes of Interest
* Happy Birthday! Joey Logano will spend his 19th birthday behind the wheel of The Home Depot Toyota in his first 600-mile race on Sunday at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Logano competed in the Sprint Showdown and the All-Star Race last weekend completing all 140 laps. He finished fifth in the Showdown after starting 19th and finished eighth in the All-Star Race after receiving the fan vote into the main event.
* Welcome aboard The Home Depot Associates from store #1979 from Marion, Ill. The store number will be represented on the No. 20 Toyota this weekend in the Coca-Cola 600. Marion is the second largest city in Southern Illinois and was named after Revolutionary War hero General Francis "Swamp Fox" Marion.
* Meet Logano: Fans in the Charlotte area can meet Logano at The Home Depot Store in Cornelius, N.C. on May 22 from 5 -- 7 p.m. The store is located at 17111 Statesville Road approximately 20 minutes from Charlotte Motor Speedway. Also appearing with Logano is 2003 NASCAR Sprint Cup Champion Matt Kenseth. There will be a children's workshop, photo opportunities with the No. 20 Home Depot Toyota and an autograph signing by Logano and Kenseth.
* The Home Depot Racing Team and crew chief Greg Zipadelli have 20 starts at Charlotte Motor Speedway. They have accumulated one win, six top-five and 11 top-10 finishes over the course of 10 years. The team finished 18th in last year's Coca-Cola 600.
* Logano leads the Raybestos Rookie standings by 12 points (122-110) over Scott Speed. He was the top finishing rookie in both the Showdown and All-Star Race last weekend. Last year's top rookie in the May race in Charlotte finished 13th. Logano also currently sits 30th in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series standings heading into this weekend's event and is just 57 points out of 25th.
* The Home Depot Team is taking chassis #209 to the track this weekend for the Coca-Cola 600. Logano raced this chassis twice this season, at Las Vegas Motor Speedway (13th) and Atlanta Motor Speedway (30th). The team also ran this chassis five times last season including the 600-mile race in Charlotte.
"Last weekend was huge for this team. Not only did we have a good car, I think better than an eighth-place car, but we learned a lot as a team. Since we didn't get the opportunity to test, the 140 laps I ran in The Home Depot Toyota were so important. I am getting comfortable with these cars now and I think that has shown over the last month. Zippy and I are communicating better too. At the start of the season when I would say the car was tight, he was trying to figure out how tight it really was. That's stuff that just takes time but I really think we are getting there now. I feel like a different driver now than when I started the season. We've progressed so much over the last 11 races, that where I was once happy to get a top-20 I think I'd be disappointed now.
"I'm not sure what to think about 600 miles. That's a lot of miles and a long race."