Texaco/Havoline Team Fast Facts: * Points Position: Jamie McMurray and the Texaco/Havoline team maintained 12th position in the overall NASCAR NEXTEL Cup standings after their 18th-place effort in last weekend's event at Kansas. ...
Texaco/Havoline Team Fast Facts:
* Points Position: Jamie McMurray and the Texaco/Havoline team maintained 12th position in the overall NASCAR NEXTEL Cup standings after their 18th-place effort in last weekend's event at Kansas. They are only one point behind 11th place and the season ending $1 million bonus awarded to the highest finishing non-Chase team.
* Chassis: Crew Chief Donnie Wingo and the Texaco/Havoline team have selected chassis #208 for this weekend's race at Lowe's Motor Speedway. This is the same car the team used in last weekend's race at Kansas Speedway (18th-place finish). This car has also run this season in the second Michigan event (20th-place finish) and the second California race (eighth).
* Record Breaking Rookie: McMurray scored his first career NEXTEL Cup Series win in just his second start in the series, setting a new NASCAR modern-era record that still stands to date by becoming the quickest driver to win a Cup event. The victory came in the UAW Quality 500 at Lowe's Motor Speedway on Oct. 13, 2002. McMurray was subbing for injured teammate Sterling Marlin in the No. 40, prior to his official rookie season in the No. 42 Texaco/Havoline Dodge for Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates. He led a total of 96 laps en route to Victory Lane.
* Lowe's Motor Speedway Record: McMurray has one win, two top-five finishes and four top-10 finishes in six starts at Lowe's Motor Speedway. He has an average starting position of 16.17 and an 11.0 average finishing position. McMurray has completed all but three laps of competition (2075/2078, 99.86%) in races run at Lowe's, and he has led a total of 112 of those laps.
* Double Duty: McMurray will be pulling double duty this weekend at Lowe's Motor Speedway by competing in the Busch Series race on Friday night driving the No. 64 Dodge.
Jamie McMurray on Lowe's Motor Speedway:
"Lowe's Motor Speedway is a very special place to me because I got my first Cup win there. Not only that, it's close to home and it's always nice to race in your backyard. They've made some interesting changes to the track surface, so there are a lot of unknowns heading into this weekend's race. There doesn't seem to be as much grip, but I believe it will get better as more and more rubber gets put down. I tested there in a Busch car a couple of weeks ago and I could notice a difference as they day went on. All in all I think there will be some exciting races this weekend.
"We are taking the same car we ran last week, but we've made some modifications to it. We're trying some different things to prepare for next year. Of course we're shooting for 11th in points, but ultimately we'd like to win a race before the season is over so we're not going to be racing in conservative mode so to speak. We'll just have to see how everything plays out and hopefully we'll be in the money position in the end."