DAVE BLANEY * Concord's Camry...The No. 22 Caterpillar Toyota Dave Blaney is scheduled to drive this weekend is chassis No. 78. This is the same car the team finished fourth with last week in the Nextel Open. The team did not originally plan to...
* Concord's Camry...The No. 22 Caterpillar Toyota Dave Blaney is scheduled to drive this weekend is chassis No. 78. This is the same car the team finished fourth with last week in the Nextel Open. The team did not originally plan to bring this car back for the 600-mile event but was pleased with its performance last weekend.
* Open Overview... Blaney qualified in the third spot for the Nextel Open, and after holding that position for most of the event, he finished the race in fourth place.
* Blaney's Career Stats...Blaney will make his 246th career NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series start when the green flag waves Sunday evening. He made his first career Cup Series start in October 1992 at [Rockingham] North Carolina Speedway and finished 40th after qualifying 30th for his first Cup Series start at Lowe's Motor Speedway in 2000. Like this weekend, Blaney was aboard a Bill Davis Racing-owned machine.
* Blaney at Lowe's...Blaney has made 14 starts on the 1.5-mile oval during his Cup Series career, starting as high as eighth (2003) and finishing as high as 10th (2002). He has scored one top-10 finish in Cup Series competition at the Concord, N.C., area track.
* BDR at LMS...Competitors driving Bill Davis Racing-owned cars have been racing at the track since 1993 and have made 38 starts. Those drivers have posted three top-five finishes and 11 top-10 finishes.
* Blaney's Busch Battle...Blaney holds the fourth spot in the NASCAR Busch Series drivers' point standings and is only six points outside of third place. He will attempt to gain ground on the leader again this week during the CARQUEST Auto Parts 300 Saturday evening. Blaney has made 12 Busch Series starts at the track. He has captured the pole position twice and won the first race of his Busch Series career there last October.
* Bring Your Sharpie...Blaney will sign autographs at the Caterpillar souvenir trailer Sunday afternoon. Stop by the Cat souvenir trailer or visit www.daveblaney.com for updates and additional information. Blaney will also appear at the Toyota Live stage Saturday at 1:30p.m.
Dave Blaney on Lowe's Motor Speedway..."We brought a different Caterpillar Toyota to the track for the Open than we tested earlier this month at Lowe's, so we weren't quite sure what we were going to have once we got there. It turned out to be a pretty good weekend. We qualified pretty well, and the car raced decent, so we decided to bring it back for the 600. We'll first work on qualifying for the event, obviously, and then hopefully we can get the car to turn a little better in the corners, and we should be pretty good come raceday. Six hundred miles makes for a long, long race and anything can happen. We'll need to take care of our equipment, stay out of trouble and be able to keep up with the changes in the track as it gets later and cooler. We're knocking on the door of the top 35, and we've had a couple of opportunities to make up some ground and we weren't able to. So that has to be our main goal: Finish the race and make sure we're ahead of the guys behind us in points."