Yarborough still waiting to sell team By Marty Smith
CONCORD, N.C., (Dec. 20, 1999) All Cale Yarborough wants for Christmas is a sales receipt. Yarborough, the three-time NASCAR Winston Cup Series champion turned car owner, is probably more frustrated than he's been at any time in his career after the third failed sale of Cale Yarborough Motorsports this year.
Tony Misuraca, a 31-year-old businessman from Tampa, Fla., was the latest to back out on purchasing the team, when "he failed to come up with the money," according to a team spokesperson on Monday. The sale was originally supposed to be consummated on Dec. 10 but the turn of events has left the gritty team owner simply gnashing his teeth.
"I really don't have anything to say about it," said Yarborough Monday from his Honda/Mazda car dealership in Florence, S.C. "We're still working on selling the team. I'm actually in a meeting right now."
Yarborough first sold a controlling interest in his team to Wayne Burdette Jr., another South Carolina businessman, following the 1998 season. But early in the summer the deal came apart and Yarborough resumed control of the team.
Then, Yarborough commenced negotiations with a potential partner that reportedly would have involved creation of a second race team, but that too failed to come to fruition.
Next came Misuraca, who appeared to have made the purchase when he began discussing his plans for the team's future on a recent broadcast of a motorsports magazine television show. Operators at the team's shop went so far as to begin answering the phone "Misuraca-Yarborough Enterprises."
Now, Yarborough is left searching yet again. However, if he is unsuccessful, the team still plans to run in 2000 according to General Manager Marlene Emery, who also said that Universal Studios, which became the team's sponsor midway through the 1999 season, is signed for three years with CYM and would remain on the car in 2000.
"He is still working to sell it -- that's the main thing right now," Emery said. "They're still in there building race cars, so I guess we'll run in 2000."
Rick Mast, the team's driver in 1999 who became the first driver in two decades to run an entire NASCAR Winston Cup Series season without a DNF, "hasn't gone anywhere yet," Emery said. "He's still our driver as far as I know."