Casey Mears and No. 42 Texaco/Havoline Dodge Texaco/Havoline Team Facts: NEXTEL Cup Series * Standings: Casey Mears and the Texaco/Havoline team remain 15th in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup ...
Casey Mears and No. 42 Texaco/Havoline Dodge
Texaco/Havoline Team Facts:
NEXTEL Cup Series
* Standings: Casey Mears and the Texaco/Havoline team remain 15th in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series following their seventh-place finish at Daytona International Speedway, but gained 43 points on 10th place. Mears sits just 145 points out of 10th with nine races remaining before the "Chase to the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup."
* Chicago: Mears has competed in just three races at Chicagoland Speedway and earned one top-10 finish. Last season Mears ran in the top 10 most of the race before taking the checkered flag in the ninth position. He is averaging a sixth-place qualifying effort in his three starts at the 1.5-mile track.
* Elko Speedway: Mears will compete in NASCAR Night at Elko Speedway outside of Minneapolis, Minn., on Wednesday night along with Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates teammate David Stremme, Clint Boyer, J.J. Yeley and Denny Hamlin. Mears will sign autographs for fans, participate in two 15-lap grudge matches before racing in the 40-lap feature late model event.
* Chassis: Crew chief Donnie Wingo and the Texaco/Havoline team will compete with chassis #610 at Chicagoland Speedway. This is the chassis Mears drove in the 600-mile race at Lowe's Motor Speedway and a month ago at Pocono. At Charlotte, Mears was running in the top five when the car snapped loose with less than 100 miles remaining. Then, at Pocono, he was involved in a lap 1 incident after qualifying 22nd.
* Help us Celebrate: The 2007 season will mark Texaco/Havoline's 20th year as a sponsor in NASCAR. From Davey Allison to Mears, Texaco/Havoline has a rich history in the sport. To commemorate its history, Texaco/Havoline is printing a one-of-a-kind book filled with photos and stories submitted by fans, drivers, crew members and media. Fans can submit their favorite story, interesting tale or special moment in their life involving the Texaco/Havoline race team at www.texacohavoline42.com or by calling 800-518-0028 through the end of July.
* Double Duty: Mears will make his sixth NASCAR Busch Series start of the season at Chicagoland Speedway on Saturday. Mears and crew chief Brad Parrott have worked together for three races this season in the Busch Series. The duo finished third at Texas, eighth at Phoenix and led 59 laps at Charlotte before taking the checkered flag in fourth.
* Chassis: Mears will race chassis #654 this weekend for the USG Sheetrock 300. Mears drove this chassis to the top of the speed charts at Lowe's Motor Speedway during the two-day open Busch Series test, then went on to finish fourth in the Busch race just two weeks later.
Casey Mears Quotes:
"Last week was a huge points day for this Texaco/Havoline team. Donnie (Wingo) really saved the day for us with his pit call. Chicago is a good track for me and the team. The car we are taking ran well at Charlotte, so I'm optimistic about his weekend. We need to continue to run in the top 10 and get into the top five if we want to make The Chase, but we also need some guys to run bad. If everybody in front of us runs well all the time, we're going to stay stuck around 15th. Matt Kenseth came back last year and made The Chase, but the other guys did a good job of falling backwards at the same time. This is the point in the year where some guys get stronger and go, and some guys are going to make mistakes. Hopefully we are one of the teams that run strong and leave Richmond with a shot at the championship."