Texaco/Havoline Team Facts: NEXTEL Cup * Standings: Casey Mears and the Texaco/Havoline team are 11th in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup championship standings following their 17th-place finish at Darlington two weeks ago. Mears...
Texaco/Havoline Team Facts:
* Standings: Casey Mears and the Texaco/Havoline team are 11th in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup championship standings following their 17th-place finish at Darlington two weeks ago. Mears is just 15 points out of 10th place heading into the Coca-Cola 600 at Lowe's Motor Speedway.
* Preparing a celebration: The 2007 season will mark Texaco/Havoline's 20th year as a sponsor in NASCAR. From Davey Allison to Mears, Texaco/Havoline has a rich history in the sport. To commemorate its history, Texaco/Havoline is printing a one-of-a-kind book filled with photos and stories submitted by fans, drivers, crew members and media. Fans can submit their favorite story, interesting tale or special moment in their life involving the Texaco/Havoline race team beginning May 24 at www.texacohavoline42.com or by calling 800-518-0028.
* Chassis: Crew chief Donnie Wingo and the Texaco/Havoline team will compete with chassis #610 on Sunday for the Coca-Cola 600. This is a new chassis in the CGRFS stable and was not tested at Lowe's Motor Speedway during the open test session.
* Charity Auction: CGRFS is holding a charity auction to honor the loss of teammate Bill Ellis who passed away last month. The live and silent auction is set for Thursday, May 25, at the CGRFS Concord, N.C. shop to raise funds for Ellis' wife and three children. The live auction will be held from 1 to 4 p.m. ET and will feature over 100 items including a Mears autographed No. 42 Texaco/Havoline hood, Tony Stewart and Sterling Marlin autographed driving shoes, Steve Young autographed jersey and a Dale Earnhardt Jr. autographed jacket.
* Meet Mears: Mears, along with his CGRFS teammates Reed Sorenson and David Stremme, will be signing autographs at the shop for fans on Friday, May 26 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Fans will also have the opportunity to view showcars, try their hand at a pit stop and enjoy good food and a live band.
* Double Duty: Mears will make his fifth NASCAR Busch Series start of the season at Lowe's Motor Speedway. Mears and crew chief Brad Parrott finished third at Texas, which was Parrott's debut at Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates, and eighth at Phoenix.
* Chassis: Mears will race chassis #654 this weekend for the Carquest Auto Parts 300. Mears drove this chassis to the top of the speed charts at Lowe's Motor Speedway during the two-day open Busch Series test. This is the first event that this chassis will be raced competitively.
Casey Mears Quotes:
"I think the Coca-Cola 600 is going to be a survival race. If the Open is a preview of what we are in store for, it is going to be an interesting evening. One minute I felt like the track had some grip and the car was good, the next thing I know it's was like ice. I actually thought I was being pretty cautious last weekend. The car was extremely loose and I think that is a condition everyone was battling.
"Running the Busch race on Saturday will give us a better indication of what to expect on Sunday with the tires and track conditions. Sunday is a long race and with the new track surface, it is hard to gauge what kind of impact the temperature changes will have on the track and the handling of the cars."