Mobil 1 Team News and Notes of Interest * Sam Hornish Jr., driver of the Penske Racing No. 77 Mobil 1 Dodge Charger, finished 37th in the Kobalt Tools 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway two weeks ago after battling a loose-handling car for much ...
Mobil 1 Team News and Notes of Interest
* Sam Hornish Jr., driver of the Penske Racing No. 77 Mobil 1 Dodge Charger, finished 37th in the Kobalt Tools 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway two weeks ago after battling a loose-handling car for much of race. Hornish is currently 31st in the NASCAR Cup Series driver point standings and the No. 77 team is 31st in 2009 owner points heading into the fifth race of the season.
* The Sprint Cup Series begins short-track racing for the first time this season at Bristol Motor Speedway. Hornish has two Sprint Cup Series starts and one Nationwide Series start at Bristol Motor Speedway. Across both series, Hornish has one top-10 start and one top-15 finish at the famed .533-mile oval.
* Hornish has a total of 17 short-track starts across NASCAR competition with a total of five top-20 finishes. His best short-track finish in NASCAR racing came at Martinsville last fall where he earned a seventh-place result in his first-ever Camping World Truck Series race. His best finish at Bristol Motor Speedway is a 14th-place effort last season in the NASCAR Nationwide Series.
* The Mobil 1 team will unload PRS-562 this weekend at Bristol Motor Speedway. This chassis was raced by Hornish in 2008 at the first Phoenix race (finished 20th) and the first Dover race (finished 18th). The backup car, PRS-591, is a brand new race car.
* Hornish will be on hand to sign autographs at the Penske Racing souvenir trailer on Sunday, March 22 from 10:30 -11 a.m. EDT.
Sam Hornish Jr. on Bristol Motor Speedway
"I'm looking forward to racing at Bristol Motor Speedway this weekend. It's an exciting race and there is something special about competing there. Now that I am returning to tracks with a full season under my belt, I expect things to be a bit different this time. We had better runs earlier this season at California and Vegas, and I hope for similar improvement in Bristol. I see this weekend as an opportunity to redeem myself at Bristol after the bit of bad luck we had there last fall."
Crew Chief Travis Geisler on Bristol Motor Speedway
"Bristol Motor Speedway is one of the most exciting places we race. When you look around before the race starts, you can't help but be amazed at how many people are packed in the stands around a half-mile race track. Bristol is a very demanding track for both drivers and teams because everything happens so fast. You have to be able to avoid problems on track and on pit road for the entire race. The Mobil 1 Dodge is ready to take to the high banks and have good weekend."