Budweiser Racing Team Notes of Interest * This weekend will mark Kasey Kahne's 11th career start at Bristol Motor Speedway (BMS). * Kahne earned his best Bristol finish in August 2007. Kahne finished second after starting from the pole...
Budweiser Racing Team Notes of Interest
* This weekend will mark Kasey Kahne's 11th career start at Bristol Motor Speedway (BMS).
* Kahne earned his best Bristol finish in August 2007. Kahne finished second after starting from the pole and led 305 laps en route to the second-place finish.
* The laps Kahne led at Bristol during the track's 2007 fall race were the first he had led at Bristol in his Sprint Cup Series career.
* In addition to the second-place finish at Bristol, Kahne has two other top-10 finishes. He finished 10th during the 2006 spring race and seventh during the 2008 spring race.
* Kahne has qualified in the top 10 at Bristol six out of the 10 races in which he has participated in for an average starting position of 12th.
* Kahne is currently ninth in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver point standings. He is 27 points behind eighth place.
Kahne discusses racing in the Food City 500 at Bristol Motor Speedway:
Can you talk about the specific challenges that Bristol Motor Speedway present? "I think just how tight it is -- how banked and fast -- it's real easy to lose speed here. The passing is difficult at times. It's one of those tracks where you have to work on the car in practice to get the car where you want it because you definitely need it to run really well during the race. Staying out of trouble - I've gotten involved in accidents running in the back and I've gotten into accidents while running in the top 10. Trouble can find you anywhere on that track so that's probably the biggest challenge when you go into a race at a place like Bristol."
With 20 laps to go, what's more important at Bristol, tires or track position? "More than likely, you'd want the track position. Until we get some practice in, it will be tough to tell what we'll be doing during pit stops. But I know at times, you can put on tires if there are 40 laps to go and definitely pass a lot of cars and other times you just stay in your spot. It will be something that we'll have to figure out as the weekend goes."
How would you assess your season through the first four races? "I feel like the 9 team is doing a great job. I think we have a really good team. The guys have been working hard and not making mistakes. We have been more consistent and that's what you need to have a good season. We do need our cars to be better if we want to win races and make The Chase, but every week we are making gains."