Jeremy Mayfield No. 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Intrepid RACING AT BRISTOL "I look forward to going to Bristol. You never know what can happen there. It's always an exciting race for the fans and for us. A lot can happen real fast there. You ...
No. 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Intrepid
RACING AT BRISTOL
"I look forward to going to Bristol. You never know what can happen there. It's always an exciting race for the fans and for us. A lot can happen real fast there. You never know what you can get caught up in. It's frustrating in one sense because you can be running up front all day and you can get taken out by someone, but it can sometimes work in your favor too. You've got to qualify up front and keep your fenders on to be around at the end at Bristol."
"Those were some exciting finishes this weekend. That's why I like going there. It's always an interesting race and the track is different. It's fun to mix it up. We go to a place like Bristol now this week and it just makes it fun for us, and I know it's got to be fun for the fans to see finishes like we had this weekend."
Jeremy Mayfield is scheduled to drive chassis No. 21 at Bristol. This is the same chassis that he raced at Rockingham earlier this year.
CAREER AT BRISTOL
* This weekend's race marks Mayfield's 279th career start in the NASCAR Winston Cup Series and 17th career visit to Bristol Motor Speedway. He has two top-fives, four top-10s and has led three races for a total of 352 laps at the track. Mayfield's first start at the track came in August of 1994, where he started 25th and finished 21st.
* Mayfield earned his best finish at Bristol by moving up 27 spots from his 30th place starting position to finish third in the spring race of 2001. Mayfield earned his best start at Bristol in last year's spring race when he started a season-high third place and finished 14th.
MOST RECENT RUN AT BRISTOL
* In last year's fall race at Bristol, Mayfield started in the 13th position. He moved up to the 11th spot by lap 34 and ran alongside teammate Bill Elliott. The two ran 10th and 11th for nearly 40 laps. Mayfield stayed in the top-15 and on the lead lap until he was passed by the leader on lap 249. Mayfield battled through lap traffic, trying to get his lap back, but on lap 299 he was involved in a nine-car spin on the front stretch. The Dew Crew changed tires and made minor repairs to the No. 19 Dodge Intrepid and sent Mayfield back out to battle for positions. He finished in 25th place, three laps down.
* Last weekend at Darlington, Mayfield reported extremely loose conditions as he piloted his No. 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge around the 1.3-mile oval. The Dew Crew worked to adjust the handling of Mayfield's Dodge but several ill-timed cautions and changing track conditions conspired to keep Mayfield from advancing. He finished 30th on the day. He loses two spots in the Winston Cup points race, moving to 26th place. He is just 72 points out of 20th place.
WINSTON CUP CAREER RECORD
* Coming into the 2003 Food City 500 at Bristol Motor Speedway, Mayfield has made 278 starts, with six poles (two at Talladega and one at Darlington, Dover, Rockingham, and Texas), three wins (two at Pocono, and one at California), 35 top-fives and 63 top-10s. His most recent win came at Pocono in June of 2000. His last pole came at the Pop Secret Popcorn 400 in Rockingham, N.C. in 2000.