BOBBY LABONTE FOOD CITY 500 NOTES AND QUOTES HUNTERSVILLE, N.C., Monday, March 28, 2005 -- The following are Food City 500 pre-race notes and quotes for Bobby Labonte, driver of the No. 18 Interstate Batteries Chevrolet for Joe Gibbs ...
BOBBY LABONTE FOOD CITY 500 NOTES AND QUOTES
HUNTERSVILLE, N.C., Monday, March 28, 2005 -- The following are Food City 500 pre-race notes and quotes for Bobby Labonte, driver of the No. 18 Interstate Batteries Chevrolet for Joe Gibbs Racing.
FOOD CITY 500 PRE-RACE NOTES:
* Labonte will attempt to start his 25th race at Bristol Motor Speedway. He has never won a NEXTEL Cup race at the 533 of a mile oval.
* Labonte has eight top-10 finishes at Bristol, including a career-best third in April 2003.
* In the March 2004 race at Bristol, Labonte started 27th and finished 33rd after being involved in a three-car accident on Lap 101. After his crew repaired the car, Labonte finished the race 72 laps down.
* In April 2004, Labonte started 19th and finished 16th, two laps down.
* Labonte won his first career Busch Series race on April 13, 1991 at Bristol Motor Speedway.
* Labonte is 37th in points and has finished 37th or worse in three of the four races in 2005. He had an engine problem on Lap 14 at Daytona and was involved in early accidents at Las Vegas and Atlanta.
* The primary car for the Food City 500 is chassis No. 74, the car Labonte used to win the pole and finish fourth with in 2003 at Las Vegas. Labonte also drove the car in 2003 at California, where he finished second and at Pocono 2, where he finished 30th (engine). The car was driven in 2004 at Dover where Labonte started 18th and finished 25th in the spring and started sixth and finished 14th in the fall. Labonte also used the car in August at Bristol where he started 19th and finished 16th and in November at Darlington when he started 15th and finished ninth.
* The back-up car is chassis No. 62, the car Labonte drove in All-Star events at Charlotte in 2003 (third-place finish) and 2004 (13th-place finish). The car was also used at the first Pocono event in 2003 when Labonte finished 16th. Labonte used the car at the end of 2004 at Kansas where he started fifth and finished 16th and Homestead where he finished 12th after starting sixth.
FOOD CITY 500 PRE-RACE QUOTE:
BOBBY LABONTE (No. 18 Interstate Batteries Chevrolet; 2000 NASCAR Champion): "You need a little bit of luck on your side at Bristol because the wrecks are going to happen and not getting caught up in them is difficult. Things happen so fast and it's hard to get through a wreck when it happens right in front of you. Luck isn't something we've had a lot of this year, but everyone is continuing to work hard and get after it. That's all you can do. We can't focus on the negatives, we need to head into the weekend with a positive attitude and try to finish as best we can."