EDWARDS COMPLETES ATLANTA SWEEP; EARNS FIRST CUP VICTORY * Carl Edwards captured his first NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series victory with today's win at Atlanta. * Edwards becomes the 74th different driver to win a Cup race in a Ford. *...
EDWARDS COMPLETES ATLANTA SWEEP; EARNS FIRST CUP VICTORY
* Carl Edwards captured his first NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series victory with today's win at Atlanta.
* Edwards becomes the 74th different driver to win a Cup race in a Ford.
* The last driver to register his first NNC win in a Ford was Greg Biffle when he triumphed at the Pepsi 400 at Daytona in 2003.
* The last time a Ford driver swept the Busch and Cup races in the same weekend was when Jeff Burton captured both events at Phoenix in 2000.
* Today's win was the second of the season for Ford (Greg Biffle at California).
* Taurus has now won 86 points races and 94 overall when taking into account victories in the Budweiser Shootout and All-Star race. Ford has 556 all-time NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series triumphs.
* Today's win marked the 28th all-time win for Ford at AMS, but only the third in the last 21 events (Dale Jarrett in 1997 and Kurt Busch in 2002). Those 28 wins tie for the most Ford wins at any single NNC active race track, along with Bristol. Ford has won at Daytona, Lowe's and Richmond 27 times each.
GREG BIFFLE - No. 16 National Guard/Subway Taurus (Finished 3rd)
"I just got beat out of the pits. These cars go aero tight and it's so hard to pass. I just got stuck behind my teammate and the 48. I was better than them, but I was too aero tight. With the aero package you just can't pass."
CARL EDWARDS - No. 99 Scotts Taurus (Finished 1st)
"I have to thank my sponsors first because if it wasn't for them coming on board, I wouldn't be driving the car this year. Scotts, World Financial Group, AAA and Office Depot. I thank Jack Roush for giving me this opportunity. As far as the race is concerned, my pit crew got us off pit road, I believe, first on that last pit stop and that was unbelievable. If it wasn't for that, we wouldn't have been in position to win. As far as the race, I just drove as hard as I possibly could trying to figure out a way to get by Jimmie, which is just about impossible, and it just worked out at the end. I can't believe it worked out."
MARK MARTIN - No. 6 Viagra Taurus (Finished 4th)
"I worked pretty hard today and so did all of my Viagra team. We had this Taurus pretty hooked up, but it wasn't good enough to pull it off there at the end. It was a good run and I'm awfully proud of all these guys. Our Roush-Yates Engines, Kraft, Pennzoil and everybody that supports us. I'm ready for some Gatorade."
ARE YOU GOING TO DO A BACKFLIP AS PART OF YOUR SALUTE TOUR? "I'm too old."
HAPPY WITH THE RUN? "Yeah, we didn't quite have what we needed to win. We were awfully good on the long runs. We did good to come out where we did with that short a run at the end. Our car was really good on long runs and gave up some on the short ones."
HAVE YOU EVER SEEN ROUSH RACING SO STRONG AS A WHOLE BEFORE? "I don't know. I'm just happy we are."
KURT BUSCH - No. 97 IRWIN/Sharpie Taurus (Finished 32nd)
"There's nothing you can do. We weren't that aggressive on right fronts, but we kept blowing them. We got involved in that accident on the first lap and then poked a hole in another right-front tire, so it was just a bummer day."
MATT KENSETH - No. 17 Trex USG Sheetrock/DeWalt Taurus (Finished 31st)
"Somebody wrecked way up front and we just got collected in it. The rest of the day all we could do was make some laps, burn some gas and wear out the tires. There's nothing you can really do."
IT'S JUST THE WAY THINGS HAVE GONE FOR YOU LATELY ISN'T IT? "Yeah, I don't know how much to elaborate on it but it's been bad so far. A lot of things have been out of our control. Maybe a little bit has been in our control, but most of it has been out of it. We obviously have the equipment to get it done at Roush by what everybody else is doing. We just have to get some runs together and start getting some finishes."
RICKY RUDD - No. 21 Motorcraft Genuine Parts Taurus (Finished 33rd)
"It's pretty frustrating. We've had good race cars every week, we just haven't had a chance to show it. Today was the longest we ran without having some trouble. It was kind of a freak deal with the wheel bearing or something. I don't know. I think we got up to fourth or fifth and Fatback was just tweaking the car and tweaking the car. I think we would have had something there at the end."