Barbera to miss US rounds following training accident

208 views

Gordon Hatch, MotoGP Correspondent

Training accident throws Pramac Racing rider’s season into disarray

Following his best qualifying result of his MotoGP career when starting from third on the grid in Mugello less than two weeks ago, Pramac Racing rider Hector Barbera broke his left leg in two places following a training accident in Spain while he was preparing himself for the upcoming rounds, this weekend at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca and the Indianapolis Grand Prix on 19th August.

Obviously I’m disappointed about the incident. It happened in the worst period possible.

Hector Barbera

Barbera’s team released the information shortly after the incident took place at the end of last week. The team released a short statement following surgery that was undertaken on Saturday at the Insitituto Universitario DEXEUS in Barcellona by Dr. Xavier Mir, chief of the plastic surgery's unit and his crew. The original release Barbera was confirmed as breaking his fibula and shinbone while he was training.

Doctor Mir had previously treated Barbera for the injures he sustained in 2010 and this time the skilled surgeon had to insert a titanium plate and several screws inserted in the left leg of the 25-year-old rider. Doctor Mir carried out the operation in cooperation with Doctor Eugenio Jimeno, leg surgery chief at the Instituto Universitario USP Dexeus.

Hector Barbera, Pramac Racing Team
Hector Barbera, Pramac Racing Team

Photo by: Pramac Racing

Speaking in a post operation statement, Doctor Mir confirmed that Barbera’s recovery time would see him miss the next two rounds in the United States. He said, “The surgery had good result. We are confident that Héctor will be able to leave the hospital in 48 hours and can being light physical activity in seven days. It is difficult to say how long the post surgery rehabilitation will take. We need to evaluate the progress of the patient, but I think that we can reasonably think that he will able to run a race in 4 or 6 weeks, according to his feedback."

Barbera was very annoyed at sustaining the injury in the middle of the season and speaking after the surgery he said, “Doctor Mir and Doctor Jimeno have done a great job. I’m feeling quite good, still a dizzy from the anaesthesia, but it’s normal. Obviously I’m disappointed about the incident. It happened in the worst period possible. I had a great feeling both with my bike and with my crew.

Hector Barbera, Pramac Racing Team and Nicky Hayden, Ducati Marlboro Team
Hector Barbera, Pramac Racing Team and Nicky Hayden, Ducati Marlboro Team

Photo by: Bridgestone Corporation

In the last three races I was able to enjoy while I was riding and fighting with the Factory riders to achieve the best result possible. I could catch other brilliant results in the next round in Laguna Seca and Indy, but it’s the life and now I have to think only about my injury and my rehabilitation,” Barbera added.

Pramac Racing has not yet announced whether they will replace Spanish rider during his recovery period.

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series MOTOGP
Article type Breaking news
Tags barbera, ducati, featured, hatch, indianapolis, laguna seca, pramac