The leaders in the LMGT1 class were putting in very strong performances overnight during the Le Mans 24 Hours. The class leader, the #007 Team Aston Martin of Tomas Enge, was just three laps behind the seventh-placed LMP1 entry of #18 Rollcentre Racing Pescarolo-Judd 01 which was running competitively, and nine of the first twenty runners were in the LMGT1 class.

The class was originally headed by the #008 AMR Larbre Competition Aston Martin for the first hour, but the car dropped back and the #009 Team Aston Martin took over until that dropped back to second place at the start of the fourth hour, thus leaving the two Team Aston Martin entries at the head of the field. The two cars were running around a minute apart and lapping couple of seconds faster than the other GT1s.

The closest challenger to the Aston Martins is the #63 Team Corvette Racing C6-R driven by Ron Fellows, Johnny O'Connell and Jan Magnussen which has remained very much in contention for the whole of the race so far. Magnussen survived a scare early in the evening after moving across on the second-placed Audi of Marco Werner and running wide through the gravel at the Dunlop chicane.

The #64 Team Corvette Racing C6-R driven by Oliver Gavin, Olivier Beretta and Max Papis has been closely following the sister #63 car but dropped out after a couple of hours due to a driveshaft problem. The #008 Aston Martin continued in third place and was closely followed by the #100 Team Aston Martin BMS DBR9 of Fabio Babini, Jamie Davies and Matteo Malucelli

Team Oreca, running the Saleen S7R, was running consistently, but not quite as quickly as anticipated. The #55 Team Oreca Saleen S7R driven by Stephane Ortelli, Soheil Ayari and Nicolas Lapierre was in sixth place in the category just under one minute from the sister #54 of # Nicolas Prost, Laurent Groppi and Jean-Philippe Belloc.

After ten hours Audi were continue to dominate at the head of the LMP1 class with Rinaldo Capello in the #2 car just over two laps ahead of Emanuele Pirro in the 1 car. The #7 Peugeot continued in third place but had to make an unscheduled stop to repair some loose bodywork.