LLOYD EARNS RECORD-SETTING FREEDOM 100 WIN INDIANAPOLIS, Friday, May 26, 2006 -- On Miller Lite Carb Day, Alex Lloyd made it 4-for-4 to start the Indy Pro Series season, winning the fifth Freedom 100 under caution because of moisture in Turn 2...
LLOYD EARNS RECORD-SETTING FREEDOM 100 WIN
INDIANAPOLIS, Friday, May 26, 2006 -- On Miller Lite Carb Day, Alex Lloyd made it 4-for-4 to start the Indy Pro Series season, winning the fifth Freedom 100 under caution because of moisture in Turn 2 on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
The victory for Lloyd, driving the No. 7 Lucas Oil/Isilon Systems/Sam Schmidt Motorsports car, tied Thiago Medeiros' 2004 record for the most consecutive victories. Lloyd's have come in two oval and two street course races.
Chris Festa, who started seventh in the No. 9 Chip Ganassi Racing car, finished second. Jaime Camara, the 2005 race winner, advanced from 18th place to finish third in the No. 11 Osofresh car for Andretti Green Racing.
Kid Rock headlined a concert to conclude the busy day.
FREEDOM 100 POST-RACE NOTES:
* This is Alex Lloyd's fourth win of the season and the sixth victory of his Indy Pro Series career.
* Lloyd ties Thiago Medeiros' 2004 series record of four consecutive victories. He is the first driver to win the first four races of the season.
* Lloyd is the first driver to record victories on the oval and road course at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. He won the Liberty Challenge in 2006.
* Chris Festa matched his season-best finish of second, which last occurred at Homestead-Miami Speedway in March.
* Jaime Camara recorded his season-best finish of third. His previous best finish was fourth at Homestead-Miami in March.
* Rookie Andrew Prendeville finished a career-best fourth. His previous best finish was fifth at Homestead-Miami in March.
* Hideki Mutoh finished fifth, his fourth consecutive top-five finish, while Mike Potekhen finished a season-best sixth. Both were involved in the first-lap incident.
* The pole sitter failed to win the Freedom 100 for the first time in Freedom 100 history.
There is no on-track activity scheduled for Saturday. The next on-track day is the Indianapolis 500 on May 27.
The 2007 IndyCar Series season continues with the 91st running of the Indianapolis 500 at 1 p.m. (ET) on May 27. The race will be telecast live by ABC and broadcast by the IMS Radio Network. The IMS Radio Network broadcast also is carried on XM Satellite Radio and www.indycar.com. The sixth season of Indy Pro Series competition continues with the Freedom 100 on May 25 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The race will be telecast as part of ESPN2's coverage of Carb Day at 4 p.m. on May 25.