Qualifying for tomorrow's five feature races in the Championship Auto Racing Teams Stars of Tomorrow challenge concluded this afternoon at the Las Vegas Karting Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. Four additional qualifying rounds were added to accommodate the large number of entries received in the Pro Superbox and Pro 125 Gearbox classes.
Eighty-one drivers representing 15 states and Canada contested the highly-competitive Pro 125 Gearbox category. Scott Speed, age 17, of Manteca, Calif., clinched the pole position, 0.193 seconds ahead of Paul Tracy Kart Racing's AJ Allmendinger.
The top-30 Pro 125 qualifiers automatically advance to Sunday's feature, and a consolation race was held today to complete the field of 40 starters.
Kevin Christensen, 20, of Castaic, Calif., was the fastest of 39 karters in the Pro Superbox main, and Brett Buckwalter, 18, of Novato, Calif., will lead the field to the green flag in the Pro 80cc Gearbox class.
In the junior classes, Charlie Kimball, 15, of Camarillo, Calif., claimed the top Junior Superbox spot, and Alex Speed, 14, of Manteca, Calif., will start on pole for the Junior 80cc Gearbox main.
While the starting grid will be determined by a draw for the Sunday's Stars of Today feature, several of the drivers -- Paul Tracy, Memo Gidley, Casey Mears, Alex Tagliani, Claude Bourbonnais, Alex Barron and Bryan Herta -- took to the track in preparation for tomorrow's race.
The winners of the Pro 80cc Gearbox, Pro Superbox and Pro 125 Gearbox features as well as two "at-large" picks chosen by the panel of Champ Car drivers and Skip Barber Racing School instructors will be named the Championship Auto Racing Teams Stars of Tomorrow at the conclusion of tomorrow's track activities.
All five winners will receive a Skip Barber Three Day Racing School and a test in the Team Rahal Champ Car.
<pre> Qualifying Results - Top Three for Each Class:
Event Designs Pro 125 Gearbox
1. Scott Speed, KGB Racing - 43.461 seconds (72.479 mph) 2. AJ Allmendinger, Paul Tracy Karting - 43.654 seconds 3. Ward Imrie, Birel Racing - 43.811 seconds
Firestone Racing Senior Pro Superbox
1. Kevin Christensen, JCC Motorsports - 50.539 seconds (62.328 mph) 2. Jeff Wallace, Dave's Performance - 50.591 seconds 3. Scott Koumis, 2Wild Karting - 50.825 seconds
Trackmagic Pro 80cc Gearbox
1. Brett Buckwalter, K.L.S. - 45.602 seconds (69.076 mph) 2. Chris Carmody, Pitts/SSC Racing - 45.768 seconds 3. Justin Clayton, TNR - 45.813 seconds
Acceleration Kart Racing/Cal-Neva Drum Junior Superbox
1. Charlie Kimball, Team Top Kart - 49.744 seconds (63.324 mph) 2. Caleb Sanden, JCC Motorsports - 49.942 seconds 3. Dominique Claessens, MTC Racing - 49.977 seconds
Y.E.S. Junior 80cc Gearbox
1. Alex Speed, KGB Racing - 45.297 seconds (69.541 mph) 2. Nick DeBruijn, PDB Racing - 45.361 seconds 3. Johnny Amba, Peter Debrun Racing - 45.471 seconds