Mario Moraes returns to Richmond after an unfortunate incident in Iowa last weekend. Moraes was unable to avoid an accident caused by another competitor and with no where to go, ended up hitting the wall. He did however manage to earn 13 points moving him to 16th in the championship standings with 108 and 34 points out of 10th place.
* Moraes is in his second IndyCar season and first with KV Racing Technology.
* Prior to this season Moraes had never qualified higher than 10th on any circuit and never higher than 20th on an oval. Since joining KVRT he has qualified in the top-seven in four out of his five oval events including a career high fifth in Milwaukee (Iowa's qualifying was cancelled, due to a leaky track, so they went by entrant points, 15th)
* The 2009 SunTrust Indy Challenge at the Richmond International Raceway will be Moraes' 24th IndyCar career start, 16th on an oval, eighth with KVRT and second at Richmond.
* In 15 previous oval starts, Moraes has a best finish of ninth at Milwaukee in 2009 (previous high 10th at Nashville in 2008). His best oval qualifying position is fifth at Milwaukee also this year.
* Moraes' career best finish is seventh on the Watkins Glen International road course.
* Moraes has five career top-10 finishes (seventh, Watkins Glen, ninth, Milwaukee, 10th, Texas, Nashville and Infineon Raceway) in 23 career IndyCar starts.
* In his first full season of IndyCar Series competition, Moraes finished sixth in the Bombardier Rookie of the Year standings.
* Moraes led his first career IndyCar Series laps (3) at the Indianapolis 500 in 2008.
* A native of Sao Paulo, Brazil, Moraes, 20, currently resides in Miami, Florida. He is the second youngest driver in the IndyCar Series (born 12/20/88; Graham Rahal 1/4/89).