DIXON EYES THIRD CONSECUTIVE WIN AT NASHVILLE FAST FACTS Firestone Indy 200 Date / Time Saturday, July 12 8 p.m. (EDT) Track Nashville Superspeedway Distance 200 laps / 266 miles TV ESPN (Live) Radio IMS Radio Network / XM...
DIXON EYES THIRD CONSECUTIVE WIN AT NASHVILLE
Firestone Indy 200
Date / Time
Saturday, July 12
8 p.m. (EDT)
200 laps / 266 miles
IMS Radio Network / XM Satellite Radio
First IndyCar Series race in 2001
Firestone Indy 200 Race Notes:
The Firestone Indy 200 will be the eighth IndyCar Series event conducted at Nashville Superspeedway. Past winners Scott Dixon (2006, 2007) and Tony Kanaan (2004) are entered in the event.
Three drivers entered in the Firestone Indy 200 have won PEAK Motor Oil Pole Awards at Nashville: Scott Dixon (2003, 2007), Buddy Rice (2004) and Dan Wheldon (2006).
Twelve drivers entered in the Firestone Indy 200 have competed in previous IndyCar Series events at the track. Six of those drivers led laps (Scott Dixon 194, Tony Kanaan 149, Dan Wheldon 135, Vitor Meira 117, Buddy Rice 52 and Danica Patrick 7.
While Jay Howard, Hideki Mutoh and Jamie Camara are making their first IndyCar Series start at Nashville all three have Firestone Indy Lights experience at the track. Camara and Howard both won at the track. Camara in 2005 and Howard in 2006.
* Helio Castroneves and Scott Dixon are the only drivers to finish in the top five in eight of the 10 races this season.
* Helio Castroneves is the only driver running at the finish of every race in 2008.
* Seven drivers have won races in 2008. The IndyCar Series record is nine drivers in 1996/97, 2002, 2003 and 2005.
Milestones & Records:
* Helio Castroneves will attempt to make his 108th career IndyCar Series start. It would also be his 106th consecutive start.
* Helio Castroneves can establish an IndyCar Series record for most consecutive seasons with at least one win should he win the Firestone Indy 200. Castroneves is tied with Scott Sharp with victories in seven consecutive seasons.
* Helio Castroneves can extend his IndyCar Series record for consecutive seasons with a pole to seven if he can win the PEAK Motor Oil Pole Award at Nashville.
* Scott Dixon needs to lead 85 more laps to become the fifth driver to lead 2,000 laps in his career. The others to lead at least 2,000 laps are Sam Hornish Jr. (3,428), Helio Castroneves (2,774), Dan Wheldon (2,735) and Tony Kanaan (2,419).
* Scott Dixon has led 633 laps this season. The record for most laps led in a season is 899 by Tony Kanaan in 2004.
* Helio Castroneves has led laps in 64 IndyCar Series races, second only to Sam Hornish Jr., who led laps in 67 races.
* Vitor Meira has gone 86 starts without a victory in the IndyCar Series, the longest drought of any IndyCar Series driver.
Schedule (local time):
4-6 p.m. - IndyCar Series practice (Rookies and transition drivers)
10:15 a.m.-Noon - IndyCar Series practice
1:45-3:45 p.m. - IndyCar Series practice (two groups)
5:30 p.m. - PEAK Motor Oil Pole Qualifying presented by AutoZone
6 p.m. - Firestone Indy 200 pre-race
7 p.m. - Firestone Indy 200 (200 laps/266 miles)