DIXON CLOSING IN ON 2008 CHAMPIONSHIP FAST FACTS Meijer Indy 300 Date / Time Saturday, Aug. 9 6:30 p.m. (EDT) Track Kentucky Speedway Distance 200 laps / 300 miles TV ESPN2 (Live) Radio IMS Radio Network / XM Satellite...
DIXON CLOSING IN ON 2008 CHAMPIONSHIP
Meijer Indy 300
Date / Time
Saturday, Aug. 9
6:30 p.m. (EDT)
200 laps / 300 miles
IMS Radio Network / XM Satellite Radio (Live)
First IndyCar Series race in 2001
Meijer Indy 300 Race Notes:
The Meijer Indy 300 will be the ninth IndyCar Series event conducted at Kentucky Speedway. Buddy Lazier is the only repeat winner (2000-01). Last year's winner, Tony Kanaan, is the only past winner entered in this year's race.
Fourteen drivers entered in the Meijer Indy 300 have raced in previous IndyCar Series events at the track. Nine of those drivers have led laps (Tony Kanaan 285, Dan Wheldon 176, Helio Castroneves 35, Sarah Fisher 35, Scott Dixon 26, Vitor Meira 16, A.J. Foyt IV 13, Buddy Rice 8 and Marco Andretti 2).
The Meijer Indy 300 will be the fifth event on a 1.5-mile oval this season. Target Chip Ganassi Racing has three victories (Scott Dixon 2, Dan Wheldon 1) and three poles (Dixon 3) in the previous four races. The only 1.5-mile oval where Ganassi drivers did not win the race or the pole was at Twin Ring Motegi in April. The pole was awarded to Helio Castroneves based on points, and Danica Patrick won the race.
* Helio Castroneves and Scott Dixon are the only drivers to finish in the top five in 11 of the 13 races this season.
* Helio Castroneves, Scott Dixon and Tony Kanaan are the only drivers with 11 top-10 finishes.
* Helio Castroneves is the only driver running at the finish of every race in 2008.
* Seven drivers have won races in 2008. The IndyCar Series record is nine drivers in 1996/97, 2002, 2003 and 2005.
* Team Penske has won four consecutive poles, the fifth time in IndyCar Series history that a team has won four consecutive poles. In 2006, Team Penske drivers started from the pole in five consecutive races, however, one of those was awarded on points.
* Scott Dixon has five victories this season. He needs one more to tie Dan Wheldon's record of six in 2005.
* Ryan Briscoe needs one more victory in 2008 to become the 13th driver to win three or more races in a season. That has happened 18 times in IndyCar Series history.
* A.J. Foyt Racing has its most top-10 finishes (6) since Eliseo Salazar had seven for the team in 2001.
* Teammates have started 1-2 in five races this season, the fifth time that has occurred in IndyCar Series history. The record is six in 2005.
* Helio Castroneves has finished second in consecutive races. Another second at Kentucky would tie Scott Dixon's and Sam Hornish Jr.'s record of three consecutive second-place finishes.
Milestones & Records:
* Helio Castroneves will attempt to make his 111th career IndyCar Series start. It would also be his 109th consecutive start. If Castroneves starts at Kentucky and Infineon, he will tie Sam Hornish Jr. for second all time with 110 consecutive starts.
* Helio Castroneves can establish an IndyCar Series record for most consecutive seasons with at least one win should he win the Meijer Indy 300. Castroneves is tied with Scott Sharp with victories in seven consecutive seasons.
* Helio Castroneves extended his IndyCar Series record for consecutive seasons with a pole to seven when he won the PEAK Motor Oil Pole Award at Nashville. His pole at Mid-Ohio was the 25th of his career.
* Tony Kanaan finished fourth at Nashville, giving him the 63rd top-five finish of his career, an IndyCar Series record. Helio Castroneves is tied for second with Sam Hornish Jr. with 62.
* Helio Castroneves has passed Scott Sharp as the all-time leader in top-10 finishes. Castroneves has 84. Sharp has 82.
* Scott Dixon needs to lead two laps to become the fifth driver to lead 2,000 laps in his career. The others to lead at least 2,000 laps are Sam Hornish Jr. (3,428), Helio Castroneves (2,868), Dan Wheldon (2,735) and Tony Kanaan (2,487).
* Scott Dixon has led 716 laps this season. The record for most laps led in a season is 889 by Tony Kanaan in 2004.
* Helio Castroneves has led laps in 67 IndyCar Series races, tied with Sam Hornish Jr. for the all-time record.
* Vitor Meira has gone 89 starts without a victory in the IndyCar Series, the longest drought of any IndyCar Series driver.
* Helio Castroneves has gone 28 starts without a victory, the longest drought of his IndyCar Series career.
* Marco Andretti's next top-10 finish will be the 20th of his career.
* Scott Dixon needs to win one more pole to tie Greg Ray for second all time with 13.
Schedule (local time):
11:15 a.m. - 1 p.m. - IndyCar Series practice
2:45-4:45 p.m. - IndyCar Series practice (two groups)
6:30 p.m. - PEAK Motor Oil Pole Award Qualifying presented by O'Reilly Auto Parts
5:30 p.m. - Meijer Indy 300 pre-race
6:30 p.m. - Meijer Indy 300 (200 laps/300 miles)