Jeff Bucknum: No. 14 ABC Supply Dallara/Chevrolet/Firestone * Jeff Bucknum will replace A.J. Foyt IV for the second time: Bucknum, who finished 10th driving the No. 14 in the Argent Mortgage Indy Grand Prix at Infineon Raceway last month,...
Jeff Bucknum: No. 14 ABC Supply Dallara/Chevrolet/Firestone
* Jeff Bucknum will replace A.J. Foyt IV for the second time: Bucknum, who finished 10th driving the No. 14 in the Argent Mortgage Indy Grand Prix at Infineon Raceway last month, will again drive A.J. Foyt's ABC Supply Dallara/Chevrolet. "I thought Jeff did a good job for us last month so when it came time to replace A.J. IV for this road course event, I didn't have to look too far," said Foyt. "We'll be in the same position as we were at Infineon because we haven't been to the Glen testing with the Indy cars, but at the same time, we do know each other a little bit better which will help us find a comfortable and competitive set-up."
* Jeff Bucknum on what he learned driving the No. 14 ABC Supply Chevrolet: "I was surprised at how quickly I fit in with the Foyt team. I think we had good communication right off the bat; I felt like we had been working together for a while. The other surprise for me was the pace of the race. In sports car racing, the cars and drivers are not that closely matched so that gaps and rhythms develop as the race progresses. In the IRL, the intensity of the race is there from start to finish--nobody eases up or takes a breather the whole race. The good part about that is that I can gauge myself against the best, the bad part is that I can't afford to make even a little mistake. As a team, we have to stay focused and not give up anything. It's a challenge that I'm looking forward to."
* Bucknum's experience at Watkins Glen is limited to two races in the Barber Dodge Pro Series nearly ten years ago. Team owner A.J. Foyt's driving experience at the Glen dates back even further. He drove a stock car there in the NASCAR race in August, 1989 when he qualified 35th. He dropped out after 7 laps with overheating problems in the engine, placing 37th. Foyt didn't compete in the 1981 Indy car race at the Glen. He was still recovering from his Indy car accident at Michigan two months earlier when he nearly lost his right arm.
* A.J. Foyt IV, who will not be at the Glen this weekend, will return to drive the No. 14 ABC Supply Dallara/Chevrolet in the IRL IndyCar Series final race of the season at California Speedway October 16th.
* At Chicagoland on Sept. 11th, A.J. IV started 14th and finished 11th at Chicagoland Speedway in Joliet, Ill. He is currently 18th in the IRL IndyCar Series Drivers' standings.
* The Watkins Glen Indy Grand Prix will be televised live Sunday afternoon at 3:30 p.m. Eastern time on ABC.
* For more information on the Foyt Racing program, please check out www.foytracing.com.