Notes & Quotes: SunTrust Indy Challenge at Richmond Int'l Raceway Darren Manning: No. 14 ABC Supply Dallara/Honda * Darren Manning on Richmond: "The first time I ever saw Richmond it was definitely a bit of a shock. It was the ...
Notes & Quotes: SunTrust Indy Challenge at Richmond Int'l Raceway
Darren Manning: No. 14 ABC Supply Dallara/Honda
* Darren Manning on Richmond: "The first time I ever saw Richmond it was definitely a bit of a shock. It was the first time I had run a track that small and with that much banking but I think it is one of the most enjoyable tracks that we run on. Even though it hasn't been too lucky for me [Manning hasn't finished in his two visits there] and it's one of those tracks where it's difficult to pass and even more difficult to hide, I like it, it's fun to drive there. It takes driver input, it's not one of those flat out tracks like the superspeedways where you never lift or a short-lining track like Iowa where if you run the bottom, no one can pass you. It's a two-lane track and it has more of a racing line attitude. The bottom's shorter but it's also slower. There are opportunities to pass but you have to work hard at it."
* Manning on physical conditioning: "There's a lot more steering effort at a track like Richmond--it's like driving on a road course with the steering effort and the g-forces that work on you constantly. The good thing is having these races back-to-back so your race muscles get conditioned. I maintain my cardio-vascular workout which is important in overall conditioning but the only thing to develop race muscles is racing really."
* Past performances at Richmond: The Foyt team's best finish at Richmond is 6th with Airton Dare in 2002 and their best start is 7th with Eliseo Salazar in 2001. Manning's best start is 10th in 2005 when he was credited with 15th after tangling with a lapped car with ten laps to go. He was running seventh at the time.
* A.J. Foyt is fielding two USAC Silver Crown cars this weekend: Bobby East will drive the No. 14 Greer Special and Pablo Donoso will drive the No.11 car. In East's first and only drive for Foyt, he won at Iowa Speedway in May sweeping the pole and the race. Donoso was poised to deliver the team's second one-two finish of the season but dropped out with an oil pump problem with 13 laps to go.
* Manning's reflections on Iowa: "We'll definitely take that top-five. We've been in unfortunate situations with the yellows not falling our way in our pit windows and it's hurt us all year so we got one back at Iowa. In the race, we thought we'd be faster than what we showed. We're going over all the data to try to get the car more balanced throughout the run. We were slower at the beginning of our runs and faster at the end so we're adjusting the set-up to make the car better earlier."
* The SunTrust Indy Challenge will be shown live at 7:30 p.m. eastern time Saturday night, June 30 on ESPN-TV.