Fernandez Rides Wave of Success to Honda Indy 225 Fresh off their first win in IRL IndyCarÂ® Series competition, Adrian Fernandez and the Fernandez Racing team head to Fountain, Colorado, with a mountain of momentum for Sunday's Honda Indy 225.
Fernandez Rides Wave of Success to Honda Indy 225
Fresh off their first win in IRL IndyCar® Series competition, Adrian Fernandez and the Fernandez Racing team head to Fountain, Colorado, with a mountain of momentum for Sunday's Honda Indy 225. Despite a late start to his first season of IndyCar Series competition, Fernandez proved that both he and Fernandez Racing are quick learners, celebrating victory in their 10th IndyCar Series start at the Belterra Casino Indy 300 last weekend.
Fernandez will be making his first visit to Pikes Peak International Raceway this weekend. The one-mile tri-oval -- located south of Colorado Springs and 90 minutes from downtown Denver -- has been hosting IndyCar Series competition since 1997. Sunday's 225-lap race will mark the third one-mile oval start for Fernandez in IndyCar Series competition. Fernandez has five career oval victories to his credit, but has yet to win on a one-mile circuit.
* Will be making his first start at Pikes Peak and his 11th IRL IndyCar
* Claimed his first career IndyCar Series victory at Kentucky Speedway last weekend
* Has claimed seven top-10 results in 10 IndyCar Series starts
* Best IndyCar Series starting position was fourth at Kentucky Speedway
* Best IndyCar Series result to date on a 1-mile oval was eighth at The Milwaukee Mile
* Has made 74 career oval starts to date, claiming 38 top-10 finishes (51%)
* Currently sits 9th in the championship standings, 37 points out of the top 5
* Only competing owner/driver in the IRL IndyCar Series field
Adrian Fernandez, #5 Quaker State/Telmex/Tecate Panoz G Force/Honda/Firestone:
"To be honest, I can't wait to get back in the car. I am really excited and looking forward to Pikes Peak. I can't tell you what a fantastic feeling it was to win last weekend in Kentucky. That race was such a big boost of confidence for the entire team, with our first [IndyCar Series] win and Kosuke's [Matsuura] great drive and fourth-place finish. I have had a great week since Kentucky, and I'm looking forward to seeing a lot of fans that we have in the Denver area this weekend. It will be a good show for sure."