A.J. Foyt IV: Conseco No. 14 Dallara/Toyota/Firestone * A.J. Foyt IV on Kansas: "I expect to have a good race at Kansas because the Conseco car ran well there last year. Last month, we had a good race set-up at Texas but we were punted by...
A.J. Foyt IV: Conseco No. 14 Dallara/Toyota/Firestone
* A.J. Foyt IV on Kansas: "I expect to have a good race at Kansas because the Conseco car ran well there last year. Last month, we had a good race set-up at Texas but we were punted by another competitor. Our race ended early and so it didn't show how good the car was. I'm looking for a much better run at Kansas because the track is similar to Texas and we know we have a good race set-up. And, the whole team is feeling upbeat after getting a good finish at Richmond, so we'll carry that momentum into this weekend."
* A.J. Foyt on Al Unser, Jr.: "I was surprised to hear that Lil Al retired but I think every driver knows in his own mind when the time comes. Li'l Al was a helluva race driver. He wasn't a great qualifier but you always had to deal with him in the race no matter where he started. He won a lot of races, and I think he still has some wins left in him. But anytime you can walk away from this sport, you're ahead of the game."
* At the SunTrust Indy Challenge at Richmond, Foyt IV finished 11th to post his best result of the season to date. Foyt started 21st after a problem with the rev limiter during qualifying. He said, "The Conseco car was competitive all night. We were passing cars and we stayed out of trouble. We ran hard so it was fun for me as a driver."
* At Kansas last year, Foyt IV drove a strong race but encountered problems while lapping several slower cars, including contact with two of them. It required Team Conseco to replace the nose assembly on the No. 14 during a green flag pitstop. He soldiered on only to have the engine blow with 12 laps to go. He placed 15th. Teammate Jaques Lazier also had problems lapping slower cars and had to have his car's nose assembly replaced also. He salvaged a 10th place finish.
* Past performance at Kansas Speedway for Foyt's IRL team shows one victory with Airton Dare and a DNF with Greg Ray in 2002, a third place with Donnie Beechler and a seventh place with Eliseo Salazar in 2001.
* The Argent Mortgage Kansas Indy 300 will be televised live Sunday at 12:30 p.m. eastern on ABC.